Simulated Combat Exercise @ Scotland - 162000ZDEC17

Server: Casual

Region: Scotland

Airport: EGQS, EGQL

Time: 2000Z

NOTAM: I am currently planning what I believe is the first advanced combat exercise in Infinite Flight. It will take place in the skies over Scotland, and will involve two teams, Red Team and Blue Team. One team will be based at RAF Lossiemouth (EGQS) and the other at Leuchars Station, formerly known as RAF Leuchars (EGQL). Those on different teams can identify themselves by their callsign (RED1, BLUE1 etc.) The basic idea is simple: The two teams will engage in air to air combat, in an attempt to “kill” those on the other team. One air to air kill equals one game point. At the end of the exercise the points on each team are added up, and the team with the most points wins. Since missiles cannot be used in Infinite Flight, and likely never will be, the outcome of any air to air engagements will be decided by a set of rules, which will determine the “winner” and the “loser” of each engagement. In order to keep the rules simple, and maximise the enjoyment for everyone, there will be no BVR (Beyond Visual Range) engagements, visual range dogfights only.

This is only an idea at this stage. If enough people are willing to participate I will do my best to organise it and make it happen. I am very open to advice and suggestions at this stage. If you are interested, please let me know in the comments.

10 Likes

Seems an idea, just don’t understand how it’s going to work, I’ve seen a couple of these around and they do turn out well, won’t be able to come though…

Best of luck!

I’ve still got to establish the rules of engagement, only then will I be able to know for sure how this will work.

2 Likes

I’d like to apply our group to compete against yours. Please message me for more information.

1 Like

What you could do is use Discord for live screens, and have a manager monitor the aircraft positions. If another plane is within the scope (little circle under artificial horizon) for three seconds, the plane is shot down, and must return to base.

2 Likes

I had something like this in mind. I was thinking of a rule where if an aircraft is able to get behind another aircraft and stay in range for a certain period of time, then the aircraft in front has been “shot down”, at which point it must return to a respawn area near it’s home base. Downed aircraft can be identified by changing callsign to REGEN (Regenerating) in flight.
Someone would need to adopt the role of referee in order for these rules to work.

3 Likes

yes this would be necessary for this to work properly.

1 Like

The last dogfight activity I saw, the fighter aims the nose reticle on an enemy aircraft for a ‘set amount of time’ or takes a screen shot as proof of kill. I cant remember xD Its been quite awhile since it happened.

Maybe you can also implement these features and other ideas into your dogfight. Perhaps no radar, plane blip and user name or what not too.

Ps, kindaanangrysliceofpie mentioned one of those kill criteria =p missed their post

I like the idea of turning off the aircraft blips to make it harder to locate the energy. I’ll allow radar, but only to a certain range. There’s plenty of time to work these things out. I’m thinking of waiting until the KC-10 is released, to add aerial refuelling capability to the exercise. Air to ground strikes (on airfields occupied by enemy teams for example) are also being considered.

3 Likes

I would love to partake.

2 Likes

I remember flying such an event, it was kind of a mess sadly. Good luck tho!

1 Like

I like the idea. Sign me up!

3 Likes

Why not. I guess I’ll come.

3 Likes

I’m always game for some combat maneuvers. Reporting for duty Sir. Who thinks they have the right stuff? : )

3 Likes

I do…’nt

1 Like

Well practice and experience are the best teacher. It can be like a virtual militay “Red Flag” training exercise.

3 Likes

That’s what I was thinking.

2 Likes

How about our goal is to try and get the enemy aircraft in your makeshift pipper and take a screenshot of it while maneuvering. It’s a challenge! Just a suggestion

And also is the date and plans confirmed? Our group at OSDFva is ready