Sikorsky S-100 registration confirmed as SB-1 Defiant

Lockheed Martin has confirmed that the Sikorsky S-100 rotorcraft registered with the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) last week is, in fact, the Sikorsky Boeing SB1 “Defiant”

The Helicopter, N100FV, Serial Number 0001 was first reported by Helihub. A spokesperson for Sikorsky parent company Lockheed Martin confirmed to Vertical that the registration is for the compound helicopter that Sikorsky and Boeing are developing for the U.S. Army’s Joint Multi-Role Technology Demonstrator (JMR TD) program, a precursor to the Future Vertical Lift (FVL) program that aims to modernize the Army’s rotorcraft fleet.

“Yes, the registry application for S-100 is referring to the Sikorsky-Boeing SB1 Defiant,” the spokesperson said. “Our team is following the FAA’s process for how they formally designate experimental aircraft; however, we will continue to use SB1 Defiant when describing our aircraft asset.””

The SB-1 is based on Sikorsky’s coaxial X2 helicopter, which achieved speeds in excess of 250 knots during demonstration flights in 2010.

The SB-1 is expected make it’s maiden flight later this year.

(Sikorsky’s X-2)

3 Likes

But… What is it? a fast helicopter?

It’s an entry for the entry for the Army’s Future Vertical Lift. Which is the program to replace the UH-60 Black Hawk AH-64 Apache CH-47 Chinook, and OH-58 Kiowas.

2 Likes

I saw the profile picture at first and was all like who stole @anon93248082’s job… 😂

1 Like

Non bearded Mark! lol

1 Like

That’s one weird looking helicopter!

1 Like

Wait, so I am a bit confused, we just learned about the helicopter? Because I think I actually flew in a sim for one of these, or we have confirmed it’s name? Or something else?

It has a confirmed FAA Tail Number

1 Like

Ah, makes sense… 👍🏻

Which means it’s one step closer to flying!

1 Like

Wait isn’t it flying in that picture?

That’s the aircraft based off of the SB-1, the X2

1 Like

Oh… [nods head complacently as if he understood]

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.