SIDs/STARs and Realism

DISCLAIMERS:
Before we start, this post is inspired by this post I saw earlier today on the IFC.
This post is somewhat a duplicate of inactive post from March of 2018.

Before we get started, this feature would be expert only at US airports that have up to date waypoints.

The second option is to add it onto the ATC command menu. That would work something like this, when the pilot checks in with the ATIS channel he is given the landing and departure runways along with the current STAR(s) or SID(s)in use. Then after they are handed over to departure or contacts approach they would request they need. The controller would respond with the typical expect vectors but after that in parentheses it would say the STAR they can expect. The same can be said for departures however instead of “expect vectors” the person would receive “expect vectors for the IFC1 departure”.

-Departure/Ground ATIS Include SID Name/Runways in use
Expect SSOXS5 SID RWY 22R

-Climb via SID

-Direct to XXXXX (waypoint/vor etc. based on the current heading/altitude command)

-Please correct flightplan before departure (ERROR)

This would also be a great chance to overhaul flight planning to make it easier for pilots and ATC. To fix this you would need to implement a different system than we have now for flight plan creation. My proposal for this is to create a system where the person puts in there departure and arrival airport and then inputs the SID they will be using. An automated system would then grab a pregenerated FPL from FPLTOIF and setup the person with a flight plan. This would basically be an automated clearance/delivery system. Ground will view review the SID they requested based on active departure runways and if it correct will respond with "Pushback Approved Expect Runway 12L). If the SID selected is incorrect ATC sends the command (Please review flightplan before pushback (Incorrect SID). The player would review the SID selection and fix it based on active runways. A tutorial for this could easily be created for expert players and before they can access expert after the update they are prompted and required to watch the tutorial explaining the new steps. The same can be said for STARs. The player would select the STAR they intend to use at the arrival airport and approach can either accept or deny the requested STAR.
ATC Commands Added:
-Descend via XXXXX STAR/RWY XX Transition (if applicable)

-Departure/Ground ATIS Include SID Name/Runways in use
Expect SSOXS5 SID RWY 22R

-Climb via SID

-Direct to XXXXX (waypoint/vor etc. based on the current heading/altitude command)

-Please correct flightplan before departure (ERROR)

That was a lot to take in. If you like this feature request be sure to leave your vote to get it implemented. If you do not like it or have any feedback (good or bad!) leave it below so I know what to improve! Thanks! -Jake.

Good idea, but the other topic already has 32 votes.
Unless you can persuade the mods to keep this open, this is probably going to be closed due to being a duplicate.

Make sure to vote for the topic above if your really want it, though.

1 Like

This topic goes into much more detail and introduces a whole new system to IF. As far as I am concerned this topic deserves to stay open.

I understand that, but I don’t think the moderators would close a topic that already has 32 votes. The other request already has a lot detail, too.

Sorry, but this is probably going to get closed.

Like I said before this is not the same as the previous request. This introduces an entirely new flightplan system to IF. The other does not. This should stay open.

Then you should probably create a new topic on a new flight plan system. I agree with what the others have said. I don’t see a difference between the topics.

3 Likes

That system works hand in hand with the other parts of this feature.
Taking a further look this request is much more detailed than the other as it includes the new commands needed, etc.

I’m not closing a feature request that has 32 votes.

3 Likes

I fail to see a difference between this topic and the other one. If you’re looking to rework the flight plan system, I suggest tailoring a topic for that. Just because a topic is “inactive since December 2018, which was only 4 months ago, does not invalidate the topic or make it obsolete”. Simply type a response on that topic to continue the discussion.

Sorry Bruce, you were taking awhile 🙂

5 Likes