Sid / star flying?

Hi IFC,
I have recently took a look in the IF flying guide, including flying a SID / STAR. One thing I am confused about is;

Are they going to be based on Waypoints so we literally just add them to our flight plan?

Or will they be like ILS were we add them to NAV1 then activate NAV1?

Any help will be appreciated!

PS: If this topic is unnecessary or a duplicate, mods can close this down.

6 Likes

I believe it’s just a set of waypoints

5 Likes

Correct, it will be a set of waypoints, some may have altitude requirements attached, not sure how that will be represented but it will be a part of the flight plan routing, yes.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot! Will keep it in mind!

2 Likes

SID’s and STAR’s have nothing to do with ILS frequencies. :)

The SID/STAR system (in more correct terminology called P-RNAV procedures) are exactly that, a series of waypoints with or without spesific altitude/speed restrictions, which utilize the plane’s RNAV system (think of it like your GPS).

They are like predefined roads in the sky in and out of airports which helps the controllers by giving a level of expectation of where a plane is gonna be, and it also significantly helps for safety and cost reduction.

A SID’s job is to take you from the runway, to a spesific waypoint which in most places would be the first waypoint in your flight plan.

A STAR’s job is to take you from the last waypoint in your flight plan down to an approach, whether it be ILS, GPS, RNAV, LOC, VOR or anything else. :)

In short, it’s a way to reduce controller workload, but it has nothing to do with radio frequencies. :)

4 Likes

Nonetheless it’s important to recognise that not every SID/STAR is a RNAV procedure, but many are still VOR based. Not sure how this will be implemented, but I am very excited to see how it will be.

2 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think P-RNAV also utilizes VOR/DME to achieve the least margin of error/ANP as possible. B-RNAV does not have it, but I think P-RNAV does.

2 Likes

Also, from what I spyshot, one would have to select only one name to have the whole SID/STAR :

1 Like

A SID/STAR is a pre-defined set of waypoints, some of which have speed and altitude restrictions. The point of them is to take care of most of the “vectoring” for controllers, so controllers just have to monitor separation. It’s nothing to do with radio frequencies at all, they work on GPS just like the rest of your flight plan.

1 Like

SID/STAR’s are arranged typically according to each particular countries own requirements in terms of radar service, noise abatement and availability of waypoints.

A SID will typically terminate at a waypoint or at a navigation beacon e.g. VOR and this will usually be located at an adjoining air traffic service route and almost certainly in controlled airspace.

A STAR will begin normally at a navigation aid or a waypoint, but not necessarily on an air traffic service route.

Both of these will be laid out in a particular manner for the sake of terrain, noise abatement etc…
A STAR tends not to take you directly to your chosen runway but rather leads to a waypoint or navigation beacon where you can take up a holding pattern and then receive vectors from air traffic control to align you with the chosen runway.

During a STAR, portions of it may be shortcut to provide better continuous descent or to reduce the necessity of manoeuvring.
Likewise a SID may be cancelled by ATC at any time and the option to proceed at your own discretion may be accepted, especially in an instance where the required SID route doesn’t necessarily put you in the direction you wish to be in.

Often a SID requires more operation of radio aids to accurately fly the routing and may seem a little difficult to navigate.
A STAR however can be a lot more simple and in instances where RNAV is used these are a series of waypoints which often lead you to the foot of the runway, sometimes without the need for ILS as the charts describe the let down procedure.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.