Should I use two engines during taxi?

I would like to know which is preferred a single engine taxi or dual engine taxi? I normally use a single engine during taxi, but i have seen most people using two engines. I don’t really know which one to use, so could someone please give me some advice.

4 Likes

Two engine taxi is preferred. Single engine taxi is generally used for long hauls to conserve some fuel.

7 Likes

I normally use single engine taxi for all my flights.

It’s rarely ever used for short haul flights.

2 Likes

@Altaria55 what about the Dash-8s? I’ve seen them taxi with one prop for a time, but eventually they start up both before getting to the runway.

1 Like

And its also very common for LCCs i think

1 Like

I’ve never flown a Dash, so I couldn’t answer that (:

Adding to what @Altaria55 said, taxi times in IF are usually pretty short. At some major airports irl it’s not uncommon to have 30, 45, even 60 minuet taxis, so on some short flights, ground time can be half the run time, in infinite flight seems like your unlucky to wait 15 maybe 20 minuets, so it’s not nearly as big a deal

Dash-8s use a single prop for taxi. I have flown on only one though.

I’ve seen you flying a Dash 8 before though 🤨

He probably means a real one

Yes for the dash-8 that is true, but for most all other aircraft that is only used for a short period before a long hual.

I meant IRL, not IF.

1 Like

Oh got it!

Two engine taxi is preferred as single engine taxi is generally used for long hauls to conserve fuel, however certain long haul flights do use two engines to taxi due to weight. Hope this helps :)

1 Like

You can shut down one engine after landing. The 747 makes that very often. If you want to taxi to the runway I would only recommend it when it’s a long path.

Actually this is a common misconception as actually a single engine taxi is more commonly seen on shorter haul aircraft rarther than long haul as some larger aircraft are unable to taxi on one engine due to power and hydraulic systems. Although i have seen the 747 taxi with number 3 shutdown.

Yes you can! I too generally use only a single engine for taking if it is a long way to the RWY.

Captain Joe did a good video on single engine taxi. Its worth a watch.

4 Likes

A lot of misinformation here…

It doesn’t matter if a flight is a long haul or short haul. A few comments suggested that single-engine taxi operations are only used on long hauls when this isn’t necessarily the case. In fact, it may be the complete opposite: if an aircraft is very heavy then sufficient thrust may not be generated from just one engine running (also applies to three/four engine jets). Don’t forget - as a rule of thumb pilots only use 40% N1 during taxi for various reasons, most notably not to cause damage to terminal buildings, reduce the production of FOD etc.

To airlines, fuel is money and money must be saved at all costs regardless of the length of the flight. At busy airports such as London Heathrow, it is a very common sight to see short haul aircraft taxi with only a single engine. I’m willing to go as far as to say it’s more common to see this than long haul jets taxiing with one or more engines off (to departure at least). Thus, the most important factor to consider is the length of the taxi from the gate to the runway (and the opposite). If you’re taking off or landing to/from a busy airport with many departures/arrivals (hence a long taxi time to/from gate), then sure go ahead and taxi with one engine regardless if your flight is long haul or short haul.

What engines to use when using this procedure? This depends on the operator, but as a rule of thumb for Airbus, taxi with engine #2 off, for Boeing it’s the opposite. For four engined aircraft, taxi with the outer engines off.

Hope this helped.

3 Likes