Should I fly United or Air India nonstop to India from the U.S?

I might be travelling to either Mumbai or Delhi this December from either Newark or New York JFK. I usually fly Emirates. But I wanted to try out a non-stop flight from the U.S to India, which I never did before.
So in your guys’ opinion, which is a better airline to travel? United or Air India?
(p.s I heard Delta is starting a new non-stop route from JFK to Mumbai in December as well!)

6 Likes

United would have better hospitality, service and cabin (in my opinion)

6 Likes

It depends on your budget. If there is no budget, go with United

2 Likes

Honestly just look at tripadvisor😂
Air India

United airlines

1 Like

I would personally take the new Delta fight from JFK to Bombay (I’m taking it next June). However, out of the two you mentioned, I would take United because Air India is just not good. Even domestically, I try to avoid Air India and fly Vistara when possible (used to be Jet Airways RIP). However, Delta beats both United and Air India in my opinion.

3 Likes

Speaking from personal experience Air India is one of those airlines you should avoid as much as possible

7 Likes

It’s really a question about wether or not you want the convenience but to deal with the two not very good airlines.
My idea is just connect through an airport in Europe! Those airlines are so much better (BA, VS, AF, LH, KL)

1 Like

I want to fly non-stop tho because my final destination will be either Mumbai or Delhi. No connecting flights

1 Like

@BluePanda900 educate

1 Like

I would ask @GlobalFlyer1

2 Likes

United.

Take it from experience, Air India is complete trash. One of my cousins once flew San Francisco to Delhi in Business Class on their 77L, and the seat he was sitting in (a window) didn’t recline at all. He was moved to the only other empty seat available in Business Class, which was the middle of the 2-3-2 configuration.

United’s service is great, and no doubt about the fact that you’ll be treated amazingly on the 15-hour flight. The aircraft flying the route is a 789, and it’s nice. I recommend booking fast before it gets too expensive since it’s a long journey and an extremely popular/profitable one for the airline. If you choose Air India, reach the airport 4-5 hours early, because the lines for check-in are extremely long. Similar thing for United, but they have the kiosks which haven’t been working for Air India. United’s kiosks are quick, and they have dedicated check-in areas so you can go to any of the open desks to check in for the flight.

I have dropped off 2 people for Air India flights to Delhi from SFO in the last 3 months. The check-in lines start building up around 8 a.m. from what I’ve noticed, and if you require a wheelchair or any special assistance, it’s problematic because they have many grandparents flying back to Delhi everyday and more special-needs people that staff. This goes for Air India mainly, as there are always more United staff for wheelchairs that can take you or help you if you have questions.

The security lines at SFO can be extremely long. Do not underestimate them. Flew Emirates Business last year to Dubai, and we were put in the Economy security line because there were too many people and it took us almost an hour to get though. This goes for both United and Air India.

I recommend flying the nonstop to Delhi on United and then connecting to wherever you need to go, as it’s quick. The Indian meal options on Air India are usually good, but I’d still recommend United. Air India’s planes are ancient, and will not be as good.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask.

Edit: I read it wrong… thought you were flying from SFO… I’d still choose UA though

15 Likes

The good thing with United is that if you don’t like the plane you fly on because of the seats just argue and they will take you back to the airport so you can book a different flight…they are such good people.

3 Likes

Um, is that a joke?

6 Likes

Yes, I do not hate United they are a excellent airline!

2 Likes

Thank you for the recommendation! Yes, I would actually be flying from Newark to Delhi or Mumbai which is on 777-200/300er. But, I agree United is the way to go. Thanks again!

1 Like

Yeah, I looked at that, but in terms of budget, that flight is really expensive in December, because it is launching at that moment. Wish I could’ve taken Delta. Already flew Delta domestically from SJC to JFK recently. Thanks anyways!

1 Like

Is this only for domestic flights? or International?

Well I made a mistake thinking you were departing San Francisco, but if you ever actually do decide to fly from SFO, feel free to ask ;)

2 Likes

No probs. Sure, will do :)

3 Likes

Speaking from first hand experience doing the Air India 184 from San Francisco to India. AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS!!! @Vignesh_S

1. I heard they had bed bugs on the flight (fortunately not my flight)
  2. Business seats did NOT RECLINE
  3. Seats were dirty. Seatbelts had this yellow stain didn’t know what it was
  4. TV wasn’t working
  5. Flight attendants just are not nice. Didn’t greet me or anything
  6. Nor did the flight attendants clean the bathroom (it’s a 15 hour flight)
1 Like