Should ATC use real STAR's?

Although I appreciate some users will not be capable of searching, reading, understanding and flying a STAR, there are many who will. Minutes ago on the advanced server, I filed a flight plan following the exact real life STAR to an airport. The only thing I could think of was to state I was flying VFR and request appropriate altitude changes. The controller could not figure this out, which was a shame, he simply kept trying to vector me elsewhere, despite my flight plan being there, I even tried to flag it up by creating the correct missed approach procedure route to the newest hold point. I think I got reported by the rest of the server for the incessant radio comms. To whit I apologies. I had to quit so as to avoid a ghosting,

My question is, should ATC have the STARs, and then someone using them to navigate will fit in nicely and at the current moment could simply request VFR or radar vectors to the airport. Or the DEVS could update the ATC system from the clunky basic commands we have now.

1 Like

Well you weren’t flying VFR, so you shouldn’t have stated that. It doesn’t matter if you had a STAR filed, if a controller tells you to turn off your FPL, it is then void and you are on radar headings until further notice.

Saying that, in the future who knows. Maybe Laura @ Co will adapt the game to make it easier to fly rwa procedures (SIDs & STARs etc) and then controllers will be better equipped to encorporate them into their controlling.

4 Likes

Not the question I’m asking Misha, I’m asking wether now, Controllers should bring up STAR before they log on. I had no other options than to ask for VFR, thereby indicating my visual, and then a Vector to runway 26, thereby trying to initiate a “Visual Approach”

I do, even for playground.

2 Likes

Plenty of them do, but they do not need to if they don’t want to

A generic FMC / LNAV function could enable this. I read Laura stating on instagram comments a while back that an LNAV autopilot function will be available in the future, after global flight. So the two could converge at some point in future.

So although I don’t think it should be a necessity, only optional, I could see the appeal of this. I’d use it as much as possible.

Getting our ATCers trained up and embedding a STAR / SID database working with the ATC menus could take a lot of work.

I would think that as the sim develops and these procedures become embedded, that it will then become compulsory to learn about them and be able to control with them in play.

True. Plus ATC are getting holding patterns in the future, so instead of doing giant arcs around the airports when its busy, we can put them in a hold and feed them in for the approach.

Very cool potential with that alone.

1 Like

Before we begin with STAR and SID, pilots should learn how to follow a vector in the first place.

4 Likes

Just because you have a flight plan and a STAR does not mean that a controller can’t vector you somewhere off that flight plan or doesn’t need to do so. This is exactly the same as in real life, often even if there is a STAR and a transition to the FAP for the runway all nicely programmed in to the FMC, but you are often vectored off that anyway. You may never get given a STAR and may instead just be vectored from the final point on the route.

This will never work, in my opinion. Unless there is another server for obviously skilled pilots. Also there would be a ton of STARs and SIDs. It would be easier for the controller to just vector. Also, this is a simulator with people of all ages with different interest. Maybe if IF goes to PC, but on tablets, i don’t think it will work.

1 Like

Clueless as per

2 Likes

You would need a centre controller on duty to get the planes sorted out well in advance, before handing them over to approach.

There was an expert server a while back, anyone else remember that?

1 Like

Agreed, expert server would work. However getting trained IF ATC,is also something else. In real life it take 1-2 years to get an ATC license. I think ATC should be automated in advanced unless someone wants to pretend to be one.

1 Like

Perhaps rather than being insulting you could tell me why?

3 Likes

ATK is right

1 Like

Are either of you pilots? Have either of you studied for ATPL?

1 Like

How about being a real life ATC? Do you still need me to be a pilot?

3 Likes

😂😂😂 you will know that stars aren’t used where they don’t exist. Otherwise for airline traffic you will pick up a star 99.99999% after intersection from an airway.

1 Like

i wonder why Sundayflyer NEVER gets any “Likes” to any of his comments ??

11 Likes

I wondr why I have 141 in a month.

1 Like