Short Final

I have sometimes seen mention of something called a “short final” but have never figured out what it is since I never came across anything in IF with that label , and none of the tutorials or posts that mention it say how to start it. Then, I discovered if you pause IF, you will see it as an option. So I tried it. But it puts you on a final that is too short to really practice your landing skills, and therefore seems useless to me. So, I guess my question is, has anyone found it useful? If so, how do you use it?

3 Likes

I use it to practice landings. Sure it would be nice to have to further out but it does the job

I prefer the “20 seconds back” feature, it allows you to get a longer final approach in.

2 Likes

@Robert_Summers, if you go on the map at your preferred airport before actually loading in your flight, you should see a dot a tad further back from the aligned runway you want to land at.

Click on that and press fly and you should be on approach to that airport. I think you would most likely find this more “useful” to practice your landings with.

This only works in solo.

3 Likes

Many thanks Vinne. I did not know about this.

2 Likes

Happy to help. I did not not that either until I found this out one day whilst practicing my landings in solo and faced the same problem as you.

@Robert_Summers. MaxSez: “Short Final” is not defined in the lexicon, However, in common useage in the RW “Short Final” is a recognized call to Tower when a Landing Clearance in not issued…

“Final" is essentially the portion from when the aircraft is aligned with the runway until landing. “Short Final” is not specifically defined but it is the last portion of Final. In the RW most consider Short Final to be that portion of the landing from the “Outer Marker” or Decision Height (DH on the Plate). Airliners “Do not due Short Finals” as a Rule. In my experience major lines specifically require a full landing sequence which assures Stability &Pax Comfort.

The Red ILS Lineals on the IF Chart are typically 10 miles long that distance mimics real world landing procedures. On IF the landing Sequence should start on intercept of the ILS signal or at the Final Approach Fix when eyeballing…

(Only Show Off’s & Rookies Fly Short Finals at uncontrolled fields in a Liner on IF.)
Hope this helps Bob, MaxSends

3 Likes

Is there a way to automatically set everything before you click the dot since when we get calibrated the speed is set to 0 and landing lights and everything is off so the plane starts decreasing rapidly.

1 Like

Nope, some things stay at the same config so click it, set trim etc then redo it and it should stay. I always add thrust and increase back pressure as the plane’s descent rate increases instantly once it spawns.

1 Like

to bounce off of what @Maxmustang said, “short final” is not a defined term in the Pilot/Controller Glossary. The only time it appears in the PCG is the definition of “Make Short Approach”: − Used by ATC to
inform a pilot to alter his/her traffic pattern so as to
make a short final approach.
(See TRAFFIC PATTERN.) [we can always count on Max to be on point!]

As far as the usefulness of the feature in IF, i don’t find it helpful in my opinion. Way to close to the runway to properly configure for the approach, as you said.

1 Like

Yes, Max. Thanks, very helpful.

1 Like

i use it to practise my touches so when i go live i can have a smooth landing

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.