I just had a one hour ATC session at KLAX on the Expert Server and I’m outraged and shocked like never before. I do understand the excitement about the new update that just came, I absolutely rejoice it myself, but it feels like some pilots seem to just want to fly it and forget where they are.
I had pilots pilots taking off without permisson, pilots not changing frequency, even if they already were on final at their destination airport, pilots having no idea how to say intentions, pilots with generally no idea how to react to ATC instructions, pilots calling inbound several times after having recieved landing clearance, pilots, so impatient that they request the exact same thing 3 times although already having been warned that the frequency is busy and that they should be patient for gods sake, pilots issueing a go around and still landing after they have been perfectly sequenced for their second approach and even pilots taking off from their gate without communication with ATC at all.
Those were by far not all.
The total number of ghostings in this session is in the 2-digit area.
In one hour. On the Expert Server.
And this goes too far.
Much too far, very much too far.
This is the Expert Server!
Things I expect from a pilot flying on this server are:
- Absolute knowledge about all ATC instructions
- Correct acting to all ATC instructions
- Full control about them and their plane
- Good patience (If you are in a hurry, do not fly on the Expert Server)
- Realistic airmanship
- Capability of distinguishing runway numbers (this is something about 50% of my inbounds today didn’t have)
- Knowledge about airport markings (the airport access road is not a taxiway, the hold short not a plane spotting location)
- Capability of short-term reaction
- Knowledge about when to change frequencies
- Reading all ATC instructions closely and not just acknowledging them
This is the absolute least of what you need to be able to / have when flying on the Expert Server.
I joined IFATC to finally controll serious pilots on the Advanced (back then) Server. That were my expectations, my impression now is that is can get worse than on the Training Servers not rarely.
And I finally want to see something happen.
I’ve been tolerating this long enough, this exceeds the absolute border.
I’ll drop a short list of suggesstions to make the expert server to what it was months ago again and I hope at least one is taken into consideration.
- Ability to ghost for a longer period of time with approval from an ATC Moderator
- Higher statistic requirements to join the Expert Server (Flight time, XP, the good old standing…)
- Expert Server entrance test
- Automatic Expert Server long-term ban at 3-5 ghosts in a certain timespan
- “Flying Patrols” / players with the opportunity to ghost players if they are acting inappropriately if there’s no ATC
- Various loading screens with information about how to interact with ATC / behave on the Expert Server
- XP reduction for every ghost
Thanks for reading, hope the correct persons will see and take a note from this.
Share your own opinions below, I’m excited about getting to know your thoughts and experience to this problem.
BavariaAVIATION, ATC Specialist