“She threatened to murder airline staff" Virgin Australia flight diverts due to mentally ill passenger.

A Virgin Australia flight from Melbourne to Perth was forced to divert to Adelaide after a passenger threatened to kill people earlier this month. VA697 was less than 2 hours into it’s journey when it was forced to divert to Adelaide Airport due to a female passenger screaming “Get me off this f^^^^^g plane, don’t f^^^^^g come near me, I can’t breathe”. Virgin Australia cabin crew tried to contain the situation however the woman threatened to “kill everyone onboard”, one passenger noted that she’d “gone nuts”, another noted that she was experiencing “some mental illness”.

The captain of the Boeing 737-800 aircraft made the decision to divert to the South Australian capital and the aircraft touched down in Adelaide just after 10:20 pm local time. At the gate, Australian Federal Police officers forcibly removed the woman from the aircraft and she is “assisting police with enquires” yet the AFP were quick to note that no charges had been laid. Her luggage was removed and thoroughly inspected before the 737 refueled and took off for Perth around 1 am local time. The flight landed 4 hours late in Perth at 3:10 am local time. Adelaide Airport technically has a curfew starting at 10:30 pm and ending at 6 am however a special exception was made.

VH-VUU, the aircraft involved, landing at Sydney Airport photo credit

11 Likes

That’s a bit extreme. I don’t know what she was thinking.

3 Likes

That is true they should.

2 Likes

She needs to see a mental health doctor.

2 Likes

They already are… some people break the law

6 Likes

Really? I think some of them are still allowd.

1 Like

5 Likes

Who said this? Link plz.
Then i’ll belive u.

1 Like

1 Like

Poor lady, she needs help before she does something stupid or even worse. Hope she seeks help and gets better mentally. 🙏🏾🌎

8 Likes

She definetely needs some help. Flying sometimes brings out the worst in people. Heightened fears, cramped space, etc.

2 Likes

It can be quite scary how quickly you can go from feeling fine to uncomfortable to then have a complete breakdown. Hopefully the stigma around mental health hasn’t caused her to not seek the assistance she could really do with. ;

1 Like

As far as those who have previously posted as to the possible involvement of her temporary insanity being caused by illegal drugs… the facts are that far more users of prescription drugs such as those in the psychotropic and SSRI categories such as Prozac, Paxil, and Zoloft among the most well known are far more likely to have episodes of violence or suicidal tendencies while under their medically prescribed influence !!!

1 Like

So your saying meth is less likely to cause mental episode? I would question that.

First of all this event happened around two weeks ago …and since so far no charges have yet been filed it is logical to assume that the authorities are waiting on the results of drug screening and toxicology related tests as well as psych evaluations on the lady in question…therefore until we know more recent information as to and if any drugs were involved…we are subsequently engaging in unnecessary speculation as outside observers… and since l am not up on either New Zealand or Australian pharmacological statistics as to the impact and effects of SSRI’s on either countries population…l will only add that their is a general consensus that has been reached among psychiatric professionals in the U.S. that have researched the data since the over prescribing of psychotropic meds for antidepressive applications …that is much more likely for a subject to have episodes of mental illness related issues from legally prescribed medications !!!

2 Likes

Hope she gets what she needs and all is well…

http://www.lawstuff.org.au/wa_law/topics/drugs

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.