Shannon airport security breach

I just wanted to share this caused a inbound kalitta 747 from Istanbul to hold for over 15 minutes doing 360s this afternoon only had enough fuel to do 4 loops. I was actually their when it happend which got me nervous when I heard security problem on my live atc but could not figure out what had happend. My view I think it’s utter stupidity becuase I don’t really mind if they protest outside the airport over the Us troops coming in on Omni but inferring with the airfield is a different story two ex American veterans. I feel like their needs to be something changed because airfields need to more secure then just those fences which are actually not that hard to get through. this is the 3rd or 4th time this has happend around the country by the way once to many which is annoying me and do not see the point doing this what does it achieve… feel free to close if not suitable just wanted to share :)
[https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/two-us-military-veterans-arrested-at-shannon-airport-1.3829654?mode=amp]

I like how they wore hi vis jackets.

They probably wore ear defenders and proper footwear too. lol

5 Likes

🤦🇺🇸🤦

I’m glad nothing happened. People are weird!

Edit: I just noticed the picture. They broke in to hold up a little banner? 😁😂

1 Like

From what I read, they were trying to get to an Omni Air International aircraft which was carrying 300 soldiers… Maybe I read something wrong though

If you really want to you can get into any airport, there is only a fence stopping you in most cases. Even Heathrow is like this.

1 Like

Dont forget the small fence which was guarding our RAF F35’s

1 Like

I have done some research and have found that the two men are activists part of a group known as “veterens for peace”.
The groups statement as per their website is to serve the world peace by.
https://www.veteransforpeace.org/who-we-are/our-mission
On the website it states:

To increase public awareness of the causes and costs of war 
To restrain our governments from intervening, overtly and covertly, in the internal affairs of other nations 
To end the arms race and to reduce and eventually eliminate nuclear weapons 
To seek justice for veterans and victims of war 
To abolish war as an instrument of national policy. 

They were protesting the use of Shannon airport as a refueling stop for US military flights.

Nah, you’re good. I’m just trying to understand what happened. Doesn’t seem like an attack or hijack attempt.

I agree with their goals but not their method. Something like this needs to be handled through Congress. They would be the ones to enact the changes this group and many other people wants.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.