Shane's ATC Tracking Thread - [CLOSED] @ N/A [PRACTICAL PASSED!]

Just opened at KIWA now! I’ll try to stay open until 0100Z unless there is no traffic. :)

PS : I could use some extra practice with sequencing, so please join if you have time.

2 Likes

i am joining now:)

1 Like

Hey,

Firstly, good luck with the continuation of your recruitment to IFATC. My feedback begins below.

1. After requesting transition (having started at a nearby airport), you approved me at or above 3,500ft. This was incorrect and I should have been cleared at 4,000ft. Remember: virtually always, and in this case, you should think airport elevation (rounded up to 500ft) + 2,500ft = transition altitude. The elevation of KIWA is about 1,350ft. So: 1,350ft (rounded up to 1,500ft) + 2,500ft = 4,000ft.
  2. You handled my pattern entry, clearance, and direction brilliantly. Of course, as the only aircraft in the airspace, I can’t speak for your sequencing ability. I haven’t got much to say about your pattern work handling. You handled successive patterns well (with one quickly-fixed slip-up after my runway change) and seem very comfortable in this area. Also, some of your clearances were unnecessarily delayed to my late-downwind-leg.
  3. When I informed you I was on a “full stop,” you correctly (having previously cleared me for the option) just said “roger” remembering that function covers everything (i.e. stop and go, touch and go, and full stop).
  4. You told me to exit the runway at the correct speed (a controlled less-than 60kn). However, I actually wanted to test your ground handling in terms of runway crossing anticipation. You left me no room for this by unnecessarily sending me to the left instead of giving me the freedom to exit right or left.
  5. Once I was on the taxiway, I informed you that I was “ready to taxi.” However, you incorrectly told me to “taxi to parking.” The “ready to taxi” request does not mean the controller should anticipate the user’s needs. It means you should direct me to an active runway. I had to re-request a taxi by requesting a specific runway.
  6. Well done for reminding me I had “already been instructed to change frequency” after I requested the change.
  7. You did not spot my rather major runway incursion. I managed to get all of my wings and back gear over the hold short line of 30L without comment. You should have reminded me of the lack of runway clearance.
  8. After takeoff, you — in a timely manner — got me ‘out of your hands’ by approving my frequency change. Well done.

Overall, that was some rather good controlling. Once again, I wish you the very best of luck in continuing with your recruitment to IFATC.

Thanks,
Patrick

hello,
Fiji 844
Overall a great session, sorry there were no other aircraft for you to sequence.
The only things i caught were,

• before i took off i taxied through the grass with no warning
  • Then after landing i crossed Runway 30C with no permission
  • lastly you could’ve used Dont taxi through grass instead of This is not a taxiway
    Great job :)

Yeah, I was looking through my misc. messages page and couldn’t find the “this is not a taxiway” command or else I would’ve, but I was focused on alerting you that you weren’t cleared for taxi yet. I also kind of spaced out about the crossing runway 30C and noticed it just after you were off 30C and I knew that was coming, I apologize for that, and again on the last one, I was looking through my misc. messages page and couldn’t find a grass command quick enough. Overall, I think I should familiarize myself with the misc. message page a little more, but thank you for flying!

3 Likes

Hey,

The commands on the Training Server for correcting things are pretty shoddy. But, this will be where your test is administered and so your IFATC recruiters will be looking to see you’ve identified the problem. A simple “you were not cleared to enter the runway” would suffice. This can be done with the [Exit runway] command button under miscellaneous messages. Further, if there was a traffic on short final or a possible conflict, you would need to give them a [Go around] instruction as I was on the runway (yes, even if I’m one wheel over the runway).

As for the rest of the mistakes you’ve responded about, however explainable a mistake may be, the reasoning does not fix the error. During your test, you won’t be let-off for errors caused by “quick[ly] looking.” You shouldn’t need to look (referring to transition altitude issue). Know your airfield beforehand — its weather, its elevation, etcetera.

As for knowing there was no parking on the opposite side of the airfield, well done. Just remember, on the Expert Server, many may want to go for realism. For example, a KLM aircraft being told to exit left on 9R or right on 27L at EGLL will then have to cross the same runway again to get to Terminal 4 which lays south of the runway.

Anyways, well done overall. And, good luck, once again.

Thanks,
Patrick

I completely understand, thank you Patrick.

2 Likes

Stop by if you can and do some patterns, I need practice with sequencing. Will be open for the next hour.

2 Likes

I will be open for the next hour unless there is no traffic, so make sure to stop by for some patterns or your next departure! I would like feedback on where I can improve, thanks!

2 Likes

Ill try coming after i land, but might not

1 Like

btw im landing KSFO

Alright, sounds good, thank you!

3 Likes

I’m hopping in! :)

1 Like

Awesome, thanks.

4 Likes

gonna do some patterns and transition :) I’ll probably be there a while!

1 Like

Fine with me, I don’t have anything else to do today. Get as many landings as you’d like.

2 Likes

I’m coming in a few minutes
Display name: IFAET NESTLE BAD
Callsign: NP69D7

Everything good, also please stop saying check runway when I am turning. Also sorry for my bad piloting skills, trying to fly at night and I usually don’t

1 Like

I apologize, most people try to test to see my awareness so when I saw you cutting way into the ILS of 25R I kept thinking you were testing me.

3 Likes

Hi, thanks for controlling KPHX today! I was N231ZB and here is some feedback from the session:

N231ZB - KPHX - APRIL 22, 2020

1. Very good on transition altitude as I requested one. (02:08)
  2. Very good job on my pattern instruction to enter left downwind runway 25L. (02:11)
  3. Perfect timing issuing my clearance. (02:12)
  4. Now you told me to check my runway assignment as I was kind of unstable and drifting off to the side. I knew I had to go to runway 25L. This shows you have a good eye! So I’m not gonna count this as anything bad. (02:15)
  5. Little early sequence when you sequenced me number 2 to follow Frontier Flight 2823. All your clearances after that was pretty on point. Try to issue sequences and/or clearances late crosswind/early downwind. At least that’s how I was taught. (02:19)
  6. When I requested change to runway 26, instead of having me enter left downwind for runway 26, you could’ve said “extend upwind” to avoid conflict with Southwest 970, then when he was out of the way, you could’ve had me enter right downwind runway 26. In a very very busy situation, having me enter left downwind runway 26 could’ve caused some chaos with inbound traffic. So remember to always make use of the “extend upwind” command in cases like this. No big deal though because you got me to the runway safely. (02:24)
  7. Good job on replying with “roger” when I announced full stop. (02:38)
  8. Good exit runway command and “taxi to parking“ command.

Overall, I think it was fantastic although, I can’t really say anything about your sequencing as I was the only aircraft remaining in the pattern. I would definitely like to see you control with more pilots!

I hope to see you join the team soon :)

-IFATC Zachary

1 Like