Several Days of Fall Spotting in Munich | October 2020, Munich

Hey once again,

after a month without a spotting topic I’m back with the selection from October which includes some very different weather conditions as well as several specials. After I haven’t been to the airport in three weeks, on my first visit SunExpress sent their Eintracht Frankfurt special livery. This plane used to fly from Frankfurt as part of the SunExpress Germany fleet but was transferred to the Turkish AOC since the German subsidiary was closed earlier this year. This fact allowed us Munich spotters to finally see it flying here.

One week later I met some friends at the airport in mediocre weather which at least offered an ok-ish contrast for Etihad’s Choose Thailand livery.

Less light on the same day made the takeoff of Volga-Dnepr’s white AN124…well…interesting to say the least.

The day after, I had to pick up some family members from the airport and of course took my camera with me just in case. Unfortunately I decided to go to the airport not too early so I missed quite a few heavy departures in the best light I’ve witnessed so far, so this pic of a TUI 737 ended up being the most impressive of the day with great evening light and dark clouds in the background.

Another departure in the same light crossed paths with a few real birds, however everything went fine and no animals were harmed in the production of these pictures.

The next day, another special was on the schedule in great fall light. Before it arrived we weren’t sure what runway it would use so we checked out a spot in case it would land on the southern runway. This offered the chance to take a picture of a parked Maltese business jet.

The special of the day was the A340-500 of the Royal Thai Air Force which ended up landing on the northern runway allowing for a shot with the city of Freising in the background…

…as well as for a touchdown with great fall colors a few seconds later.

Since the traffic these days is horribly low, we additionally decided to take a few pictures of the rescue helicopter of the German Automobile Club ADAC on static display at the visitor center.

Last Thursday, I ended up getting up early for some sunrise shots as well as another Antonov departure later on, which unfortunately didn’t end up with better pictures than the last one I already showed. However, the morning light was really worth the trip.
#
In addition to the standard Lufthansa planes, I also finally got a picture of Munich’s latest Airline Lübeck Air which connects Munich and the northern German city of Lübeck twice daily.

The Hungarian Air Force visited us with their Dassault Falcon 7X giving an interesting contrast to the colorful trees in the background.

After checking Munich’s navaids and ILS the previous days, the Beechcraft of Flight Calibration Services departed back to Braunschweig.

To close this topic, here’s another picture of the fall atmosphere in Munich, this time featuring one of the MUC-based police helicopters which, quite unusual, used the runway to depart, resulting in quite some hovering during the wait for the next few landings.

I hope you enjoyed these fall impressions! I guess my next topic might not come too soon again unless I can be bothered to create a topic using my newly edited first pics from back in 2016 and 2017.

Thanks for visiting this topic! I hope you liked it! See you for the next topic ;)

My Equipment:

Canon EOS 80D
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II USM (99% of pics)
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0 L IS II USM (for wide angle pics)

Backup / Old Lenses

Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (for the 1% of the cases where I needed a wide angle lens, replaced by the 24-105 now)
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS STM (for the majority of my very old pics, bascially completely replaced by the 100-400 now)

You can follow me on twitter and Instagram to get more shots on a daily basis. Also, keep your eyes open on Flightradar24 where you might see some of my recent shots.

Twitter

https://twitter.com/mba_muc

Instagram

Jetphotos

Recorded Flights on my YouTube channel

My spotting topics on the IFC (sorted by years since this is slowly getting endless)

Spring Spotting 1
Spring Spotting 2 with Lorenzo
Spring Spotting 3 (feat. Hekla Aurora)
August spotting with some sunrise shots
September 30 with quite some special liveries and bizjets
Spotting in Zurich on the way to Cosford
Spotting Laura and more in Birmingham
Spotting in fog with a sunny end

Special planes at Munich - Munich Security Conference feat. E-4B
Valentine’s Spotting 2019 - Civil Traffic around the Munich Security Conference
Retro Time - British Airways BEA A319
First weekend in Innsbruck - Charter Flights in the Alps
Second Innsbruck Spotting Weekend
Bringing Israeli soldiers to Munich - El Al 747
Another visit of ElAl’s queen - El Al 747
Spotting in the Morning Sun - South African Special Livery A340-300
A full day of Spotting
London Calling - Spotting at MUC and LCY on the way to London
London Heathrow Evening Spotting Before the Meetup
London Heathrow Meetup Spotting
Last Day at Heathrow: Landor, Negus and more
Government Jets and New Perspectives at Munich Airport
One Day Spotting Trip to Frankfurt Airport
Spotting Trip to Berlin
A lot of Specials at Munich
Quick after work spotting for a private A340
Another Sunny Spotting Day in Fall
Spotting with a Female closer than 5 miles, so definitely click even though she’s in none of the Pics!!!
Day and Night Shots at Munich
Deicing and more
Condor’s new colors and a big chopper
Stunning Condensations and a Royal 747
Azimuth Superjet and more for the last topic in a decade

Birthday Spotting
The Final EXPO A380
Special Cargos in the Evening
Zurich’s Airline Traffic during the WEF Week
Air Force One Ramp Tour
Air Force One Arriving in Zurich
Heavy Contrasts for Air Malta’s Retro Jet
First Two Days of SiKo - Kuwait A340, Russia Il96
Amazing Security Conference Perspectives feat. Kuwait’s A340 and more
Etihad’s Choose China Livery
Security Conference Final
Trying A New Position for Condor‘s and United‘s New Liveries
Last Specials Prior to the Corona Break
First Spotting Trip After the Corona Restrictions With Some Cargo Specials
50 Years Special Livery on a Rescue Helicopter
Spotting AN-22 in Leipzig
Spotting the Last Departing A340s of Lufthansa
First Visit of Qatar’s OneWorld A350-1000
AN124 and Other Specials in Munich
Spotting in Frankfurt With Several Specials
Early Morning Cargo Movements
Government Flights at Munich
Military & Special Spotting at Ingolstadt and Neuburg AFB
DC3, Hekla Aurora and an EXPO livery at Munich
The First Visit of an Airbus Beluga XL
Summer Spotting Ending with Engine Light
IL76 Spotting in the Summer Heat
Two Weeks of Specials Summarized
Two More Days of Specials in Munich
Special Movements in September

Honorable mentions, TLDRs and Reminders

TL;DR service for @dush19: Actually, I can’t be bothered to continue this any longer but: Planes, Planes, Planes.
@MrMrMan: Look, something new to quote again!
@Marc you’re welcome 😉
@Nathan time to visit this place again
@Balloonchaser since you will come here anyway…
@JulianB just want to be sure you don’t miss it
@CaptainHugh

53 Likes

First

6 Likes

Second. @AndrewWu

1 Like

Second –> Edit: Third

Beautiful picture @Moritz! I really like the picture with the TUIfly :)

1 Like

Is this Instagram or what? And more important, where is @Balloonchaser?

2 Likes

4th comment here; 1st in Moritz’ heart ;)

Amazing job dude

4 Likes

Objection, I’m numero uno.

1 Like

Uhm, alright? I didn’t know we had a competition who I like more lol

1 Like

Beautiful Photos! The lighting is amazing

1 Like

Awesome shots as always Moritz! I love the Auto Club Helicopter! Hopefully we will see some more shots in the winter too!

1 Like

Well, let’s see if we have anything we can call traffic in winter haha

Woo great one @Moritz!

1 Like

How was that one 737 not a tail strike??? Awesome pics.

Uhm, I guess that’s either due to perspective or it simply increased its pitch after liftoff

1 Like

So a little off topic but I asked one of my friends from school to pronounce a list of airport names and he said Munich like this; “Is it Mun-itch? Wait no that doesn’t look right. What about Mew-nike?” It made me want to cry from laughing so hard 😂

That both sounds horribly wrong lol

2 Likes

I love your photos Moritz! Your Instagram is also awesome 👏

2 Likes

Some very cool pictures as always! TUI and EW habe exceptional light and the Thai A340 (which I sadly never knew existed…) is a very cool catch as well.
Thanks!

1 Like

I hope this A345 will find its way to LSZH the other day. We see their 738 regularly and for VIP transport from Thailand they usually charter Thai Airways aircraft. Not that I had anything against the 744s, but that A340 is definitely on my to-do-list. Nice pictures!

1 Like

Great photos as always Moritz! Quite like the dark clouds backdrop - especially with the TUI blue livery. Fall colors also looking fantastic with the Thai A340

1 Like