Setting Flaps Before Takeoff

Out of curiosity… at what point do you personally set flaps for takeoff?

1. Before Pushback
  2. During Pushback
  3. Before Taxi
  4. During Taxi
  5. Holding Short
  6. On The Runway

Please comment

Lachy,

5 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Fixed :D
Knew I’d forget one

It is done prior to taxi. Imagine a plane taxing to holding point of Rwy xx and then they realise they have a hydraulic problem and flaps can’t be extended. That would cause unnecessary delay for other aircraft.

9 Likes

I usually do it before taxiing.

1 Like

I usually before taxi.

1 Like

I set the take off flaps before pushback

1 Like

After engine start which is normally before you taxi out and after the pushback.

15 Likes

Like in real world, after pushback and before taxi.

6 Likes

Exactly right answer @Laurens according to real world procedures :)

Next time you are on a flight watch and you will see flaps are set after pushback and before taxi.

Only exception in the real world would be if you needed de-icing in which case flaps are set later after you are de-iced.

4 Likes

Before taxi for me

I sit at the gate, make my plan, pushback, then put flaps down, do my “engine startup” and get rolling

1 Like

Takeoff flap settings are part of the pre taxi checklist. Here in Australia it’s pushback, engine startup, pre taxi checklist (which includes desired flap settings) then taxi.

3 Likes

Official American standard is pushback check flaps then retract them to position before taxi or when they request

It’s a world standard… come on guys I think this is basic knowledge…

2 Likes

Hi Lachy,

I usually set my flaps during pushback as happens usually in real life, it varies with aircraft types and different pilots. When flying the 737 I usually pushback, set throttle to 13% and flaps to 5°. Setting flaps before taxi reduces distraction before takeoff and can in turn reduce delays on the runway.

Hope this helps.

3 Likes

Most of the time before taxi, or I’ll do it during pushback