Can everyone agree that the display names of users that include acronyms are a bit hard to read and understand?
I think that we should be able to separate the name/username and the acronyms in the display name.
- When reporting users as ATC, it can be unclear what the username of the controller is when the acronym is included in their display name.
- When reporting or trying to find pilots, it can be hard to find users because they include acronyms in their display name.
- It can be hard to read people’s display names.
- The long display names look ugly.
- Most VAs and VOs require you to include their acronym in your display name. So users either have a lot of acronyms in their display name or they have to constantly change their display name to fit requirements.
What I propose
Instead of the current setup, include the following for users to input their information.
Name: Type in your full name, first name, last name, username.
Acronyms: Put all or some of the acronyms of the Groups, Virtual Organizations, Virtual Airlines in this field.
Callsign: Enter your callsign.
In this example my name is Jim Bob and I am in a reasonable amount of groups.
Name: Jim Bob
Acroyms: IFT, IFHF, ETA
When I’m controlling, the fact the name and acronyms are separated will be of huge benefit.
Example: Jim Bob
- When controlling, only my name will be visible. The acronyms and callsign would not.
- When I ghost someone they will only see my name in their logbook, in the airport information, in the ATC log, etc. That will make it easier to find the controller on the forum, because their name shouldn’t change.
When flying the name, acronyms and callsign would be visible, but again, you’d then be able to seperate them.
Example: Jim Bob - IFT IFHA ETA - N12JB
Compared to the current setup:
IFT-IFHA-ETA-JimBob - N12JB
You can clearly understand that Jim Bob is his name/username, he’s in a lot of made up groups, and there is his callsign.
Requests that could compliment this request
I hope you agree with me that it would be beneficial to separate all that information and vote for my request. If anyone likes the idea but has a suggestion then feel free to leave that below and I’ll edit the request.