Send ATC Commands using your voice

Freeing up a vote for this, such a great idea, been thinking about how good this would be for a while. Sorry B757 rework but you already have 1000+ votes ;-;

5 Likes

this seems pretty awesome, instead of a robot saying it and being limited to certain terms. I like the real life atc gruffy voice where there like ehhhhh runway 30L echo2333 cleaaard for ehh deeparture to thee east.

I liked this idea sadly no votes left

Thank you!

1 Like

No, it would still come out on the other end as the text to speech. It wouldn’t be any voice communication, only a voice search kind of thing.

1 Like

I think this should only be available for IFATC controllers because finding certain commands when its busy can be very anoying so if we could just say what we need that would be better and pilots could have updated responses. I say this because controllers do not troll but some pilots do so its better this way (imo) :)

1 Like

Yes it would only be for IFATC

1 Like

I think one of the things that really differentiates Infinite Flight from any other flight simulator is it’s accessibility.

Language barriers aren’t a problem. Location isn’t a problem. Device requirements (headphones and a mic) aren’t a problem. It’s mobile. In a coffee shop, at the gym, on your couch, etc, not a problem.

For group flights between pilots, this option in-app of a voice chat would be amazing. For ATC, I think it’d be a step back. I don’t see why you wouldn’t just go try to use a desktop sim with voice instead if that were the case.

Now, if you want to make the case for a separate server where a separate community of pilots and controllers could use voice, that’d be interesting.

A text-to-speech ability would be amazing though.

4 Likes

I see where you are coming from. I am also one that would be against having voice to voice communication as there are so many factors that would have to be worked out and I think it just wouldn’t be worth it. Having this capability would just give quicker and more efficient ATC coverage as buttons wouldn’t need to be pressed every time to send a command. To have the sim put what we are saying into the automated speech that we use now. There would need to be fine tuning and things to figure out but it was just an idea I had.

But speaking of accessibility, this request would be amazing. Imagine if you had some kind of disability that made it impossible for you to participate, but if this were to be implemented you’d then be able to use ATC.

3 Likes

Maybe the real voice would be a good idea like simply create a discord “breakout room” when tuned in on a specific frequency. But, it would only be available for pilots and controllers in expert server for example. How about that ?

Unfortunately, vocal ATC (with your own voice) has been confirmed not to be happening. It would come with two many moderation issues, even if it as only on Expert Server. There will still be trolls and moderators would be required to constantly listening to every frequency all of the time.
In addition, some people might be in loud environments (i.e. young children in the background) that might not be possible to get out of. You know, that guy at the 5-year-old birthday party who decides to go on live ATC 😂
It would be great, but, not quite possible for a mobile simulator at this stage.

This request is just to be able to search for commands using your voice, like voice search. The menu of ATC commands is already complicated, and will only grow. I really like this feature and would be a great help.

2 Likes

It’s a good idea, but most of those who play Infinite Flight are not proficient in English

1 Like

I see this is an good idea , but what happens when theres an troll that just screams ( on purpose ) in lets say expert server and just jampacks the whole frequency , whilst other people are trying to talk at the same time aswell ?

This request is for a “speech-to-text” detection that triggers commands, not voice ATC. For example if you said out loud “N623KB requesting departure to the South” it would then said the corresponding command.

2 Likes

It would just be so much easier for IFATC, we would be able to handle busy frequencies so much better because we could just say what we wanted the aircraft to do rather than searching for the right commands. I think IFATC should get it and pilots should get updated response options, “roger” or “wilco” should be an available button for pilots to click, following any assigned heading or altitude… Now that I think about it this would be so much better than getting any more plane updates or anything maybe even over terminals.

I am curious what the devs think because it is probably something that is very hard to implement.

Also what if it worked like this:
I open SFO enable voice communications I have 6 aircraft on ground. One of them N1LS so I say “N1LS” and the system reconizes it and then I say " line up and wait 1L, heavy tripple seven departing 28L" now they will hear that message but it would also transmit the words into the ATC chat so they can see if they missed it or something.

Pilots will not have this feature, only for IFATC .

2 Likes

Ah looks like I’ve misread then , in that case that would be good , I was thinking it was the other way around. Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

Of course it’s a good idea, but I don’t think there is a need to change

if the computer does not understand your accent