Selectable Map Types (Roadmap, Terrain, Satellite)

It would be amazing if you had a tool like the flightplan map, but with different map types, like roadmaps, satellite photos and that stuff you can choose on GoogleMaps or Flightradar24, which would be much more helpful and help you to orientate yourself in the region you’re flying in.

1 Like

That one was covered just the other day here

1 Like

oh, didn’t see that, changed the post

Alternative: check out www.liveflightapp.com - the iOS version will have some terrain mapping which will be cool :)

2 Likes

Well, I’m an Android user, but that sounds indeed cool :)

1 Like

Just a quick question on the terrain feature as posted on “What is Global”
•Topography◦~90m resolution (resampled to ~76m) for land between -60deg and 60deg latitude
◦~500m resolution for everything else.
Do you know or have you seen the new terrain image?
Did you notice if there are any roads or railroads visible below 3.000 feet.
The reason that I am asking is that I like to use my pilotage skills (the art of knowing where you are by reading a map and comparing it with the surrounding terrain and landmarks,) I know that objects like towers and other 3d objects can not be seen in IF. However roads and railroad’s are extremely helpful in knowing where you on your route. I have seen lakes and rivers that I have used in IF but in city areas these become difficult find on sectional charts to plot with.
I use a app called Topo Maps+ on my iPhone and was wondering if the new terrain is like that. It does show major roads and hiways such as you would see on a sectional chart.
Not that important but I was just curious.
Thank You.

Hi David,

Because this topic is very old, this comment would be considered as necroposting - reviving/replying to a topic that is very old.

It’s best to contact Cam privately and I assure you he’ll try answer your questions if possible.

Thank you. :)

2 Likes