Seeing The World In A Different Light

In addition to my DSLR and a few film cameras, I have a small camera called the HTI HT301. It’s a small dongle which plugs into a phone to work, it costs 725 USD and has a resolution of just 388x284 (that’s only 0.11 megapixels).

The HT301 is a thermal camera. Your eyes are sensitive to wavelengths ranging from around 0.4 to 0.7 microns, thermal cameras see longer wavelengths between 8 and 15 microns. This enables them to see the thermal radiation emitted by objects at around room temperature or above.

My iPad running Infinite Flight on max settings.

Why am I posting this? Well, I was at an airshow on Saturday, there were plenty of people with normal cameras, so I decided to record the RAF Typhoon display with the thermal camera. Afterburner exhaust is hot enough to glow visibly, so it should look pretty amazing in thermal. It does.

I now have an expensive urge to further upgrade my thermal imaging equipment.

20 Likes

By far the most unique Spotting topic I’ve seen. Incredible stuff there!

3 Likes

most relatable thing I’ve seem all day

7 Likes

Especially when my iPad is running infinite flight. Honestly I’m joking my iPad. It runs really efficiently. It never gets that hot.

2 Likes

Is this a fusion reactor

1 Like

This is insanely cool.

1 Like

Gotta be between this and “spotting 100 feet below sea level” or whatever it was called

2 Likes

Oh yeah, that one was also very unique. I totally didn’t forget about it because I spend way too much time seeing way too much stuff here.

1 Like

And charging, no less!

1 Like

Very interesting

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.