Seat belt sign

Hi just a quick question. As I would like to fly as realistically as possible. When should I switch off the seatbelt sign and when should I switch back on.
Thanks

2 Likes

Seatbelt sign off *

It varies from airline to airline, but this response should help you:

4 Likes

Seatbelts sing on when taxiing, Takeoff, crossing turbulence zone, descending and landing.

3 Likes

What kind of vs rate should I be at to turn off ?

usually 10 000 feet. but it varys from different airlines. Also weather can play a part in when it goes on or off for that matter

I’d say +1500

2 Likes

Turn it on when Pushing back and Off when reached sousing altitude, thorn it back on when descending, when at destination, turn it on,

Seat belt signs and when to use them are a varying rule. Many European Airlines under the EASA turn off their seatbelt signs upon passing 10,000 feet although this is not a regulation all the time rather company preference although there are baseline rules. In the USA Delta pilots are allowed to turn off the seatbelt sign upon passing FL180 given the weather permits, where as United is their initial cruising altitude or FL370 whichever comes first. It’s really up to the airline.

Seatbelt signs should be switched on if the pilot encounters turbulence usually based off feel and weather around/ahead and not v/s.

Hope this helps!

Stay safe!

-Justin Duval

2 Likes

I believe they must stay on under 10,000ft but once you hit 10,000ft, they captain has the decision weather to turn it off I think… Depends on weather and stuff ;)

While many airlines in the United States have varying SOPs, the regulation for regularly scheduled air carriers, 14 CFR 121.317 states the following:

§ 121.317 Passenger information requirements, smoking prohibitions, and additional seat belt requirements.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (l) of this section, no person may operate an airplane unless it is equipped with passenger information signs that meet the requirements of § 25.791 of this chapter. Except as provided in paragraph (l) of this section, the signs must be constructed so that the crewmembers can turn them on and off.

(b) Except as provided in paragraph (l) of this section, the “Fasten Seat Belt” sign shall be turned on during any movement on the surface, for each takeoff, for each landing, and at any other time considered necessary by the pilot in command.

Moreover, other than takeoff and landing, it is up to the pilot in command (you) to determine when to have the sign on or off.

2 Likes

Like what was said before, it does vary by airline and/or airplane, for example, I’ve boarded Air New Zealand Q300s with them already on, but I do know that some airlines do turn them on later.

Whenever you feel it is safe to do so.

Check the enroute weather, and take into account any sudden turns on the departure, terrain (you might be bounced around by mountain waves for a while) and your planned climb rate.
Shallow climb out of a flat area with no significant weather: off after 10,000.

Short flight over mountains? Don’t bother turning it off.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.