SCV Application Questions

Let’s say your in a 787-9, and your on final for 25R at KLAX, and your descent is too steep. What would you do?

If Flying at 35K Feet, what is the recommended time to start descending?

1 Like

If I was descending for landing and my descent was to steep, and I couldn’t correct it safely to re-intercept the glide slope, I would go around.

This would be the safest bet, as it would give you time to descending at a proper Vertical Speed to the altitude you need to intercept.

7 Likes

Descent to steep can still work as long as you can get to your landing speed. The best way to regulate your descent is with the throttle.

If you feel you can’t do a good landing, you announce a go-around.

Here’s some more info

3 Likes

One this is for sure and that is you don’t do what I did at Beijing today and slam your plane to the ground, making it bounce up, forcing me to goo around with probably injured passengers.

We all make wrong judgement and calculations from time to time, and if you happen to be too high for a Approach you answer if above, posted by other members on what to do ☝

Also if you happen to go against the odds, and land half way down the runway, then go around is your best bet still and this would also apply if you happen to bounce twice on a landing because you came in too high and dropped you speed to be able to landing but slammed down instead and then bounced. In that case Go-around is the ideal choice for your and the passengers safety.

If you’re way too high just go around and try again. Remember that you can control your rate of descent with your throttle and control your speed with pitch.

Also, If Flying at 35K Feet, what is the recommended time to start descending?

I’m making the Signup form for SCV

Just wondering why did you change this to a ‘SCV application questions’ topic?

I’m making questions for our join form, and want community based answers. @Declan_O

2 Likes

To answer your initial question, if you feel you are too high and are not going to make a smooth landing, you can always ago around. Fly runway heading until at pattern altitude then either contact approach on ATC or announce your turn (left traffic/right traffic) on unicom. Speaking from personal experience, I believe it is vetter to go around and try again, rather then do a messy (hard) landing, as that completely destroys the realism ascpect of the sim.

For the descent, I usually begin my descent a bit early around 165-170nm from the destination airport using V/S -1000 fpm 250kts, but that is just for the passenger comfort. I know it is not common practice.

The most common V/S is negative 1600-1800 fpm at 250kts , so somewhere around 120nm should be good. This applies to all ToD from FL320 to FL360. Anything above that, you would need to increase your descent distance about 5nm per 1000ft above 36,000.

Here is my descent profile I use on a daily basis. It may NOT be entirely correct in real life situations, but remember this is my personal preference and comfort of my passengers. I hope readers of this post will understand and not be judgemental.

ToD : 170nm (FL 320 - FL360)
Descent rate : -1000 feet per minute
Descent speed : Manually adjusted to maintain constant 250kts IAS.

Reach FL280 : 130-140nm (depending on ToD)

Reach FL200 : 100nm

Below FL200 : VS - 800 fpm

Reach FL150 : 60nm

Reach FL100 : 40nm

Below FL100 : VS - 500 fpm 220 kts IAS

Reach FL60 : 15nm 200 kts IAS / capture localizer and glideslope.

Reach FL40 : 10nm / final approach speed.

From FL40 until touchdown : Manual flight to maintain glideslope and airspeed.

Final touchdown rate : 100 - 150 (avg.)

Keep in mind this only applies to “heavies”. Since I rarely fly short/medium haul, I cannot give out exact numbers. But obviously they would be closer to the airport since the aircraft is lighter and can loose altitude quicker.

Well, a 789 can withstand a decent descent without causing overspeed issues, you can realistically put her into like a -1,300 or so on final and be fine, you do this in a 772 and you’re going to have issues. If you notice you’re too far you, go around obviously, but you can be preventive and do a 360 during your approach to lose some altitude without having to alter the glide slope.

There’s probably 10 different answers for this question. I begin descent at 140nm out of a location if im FL350 or lower at -1,800, as i get lower, i decrease my VS and begin to slow up. If im above, i begin at 150nm and use the same procedures.

1 Like

I don’t have any regular descend time… I do it with reference to the aircraft weight ,altitude and speed…nd thag goes same for 789…I always maintain 3° glide during descend .Assume if I am at FL380 and my GS is 450kts…so I’ll start descend at 150nm out… With VS of around 1500 or 1600(maintaing 3° slope) and it’ll change accordingly with GS …nd If I feel I can’t reach the airspace at perfect altitude for approach… Then I’ll hold over a point… Sometimes by seeing charts …and will descend to mha of the holding point (in approach chart or the mha I receive from APPR frequency) hwvr when appr frequency is active… I just hold over some other point and will contact appr at or below FL150 so tht I don’t get hold by appr coz sometimes it leads into delays…

So that’s whay I do… I just check airspace ceiling… And airport arrivals chart to ensure to enter at perfect altitude in the airspace and literately I avoid go arounds… Holds r way much better than go around(thats wht I think :) and the nexr thing is butter :)

Cheers

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.