School talk help

I have to do a talk in school and we had to wright on pieces of paper topics so I put down aviation and made something different about the paper so I would get that topic so that when I was choosing a bit of paper from a hat and it worked so I now have to do a talk on something aviation related. The problem is that I’m not sure wether to do the history of commercial aviation or supersonic aviation. Please tell me ideas for what one I should do and why I should do it. Also if you think I could talk about something else aviation related for longer please tell me. Keep in mind I can’t talk about flaps or turbofans for 6mins as that would bore people even more.

1 Like

What about Boeing vs Airbus?

737 MAX series?

Just some ideas of mine.

5 Likes

I don’t know why I didn’t think of that.

Talk about the SR-71 BlackBird, truly fascinating spy plane.

They have a lot of documentaries about it also so you don’t have to worry about source material.

4 Likes

Also another consideration is the evolution of plane safety and how aviators and engineers took steps to decrease the chances of the plane smashing in the side of a mountain.

Also - Black Boxes: how they record data and help agencies figure out what went wrong.
How can the technology be improved, why is it not always reliable etc.

1 Like

A good presentation involves the ability to spin a mile’s worth of yarn from a single topic. Part of a presentation’s appeal comes to how you present yourself and how you can play the “boring” aspects of your topic to your advantage. For example, you could make an inside or self-deprecating joke about how flaps or turbofans are boring to the average person, yet better than candy for an avfan.

Another aspect is to have a bunch of quickly referenced bullet points you can use to spew out a minute or two’s worth of stretched dialogue from each one. Use whatever comes to you easily.

The rest is up to you.

4 Likes

Do something about supersonic aviation. Aircraft like the Concorde were loved but failed to really take off (pardon the pun) but that’s something non AV geeks will understand if like me you know no one that likes planes at school.

1 Like

Yes that’s one things I’m needing to comsider is no one in my class even knows what a A380 is. Some know it has 4 engines but that’s only because they saw my phone background.

1 Like

You could talk about the 747 and it’s history in a very short summary or something. I think almost everyone knows about the iconic Jumbo Jet’s existence and knowing it’s background could be interesting to know.

It’s up to you what you pick to talk about :)

2 Likes

Well then, explain what an airliner or ga aircraft or whatever type you’re interested in is, and how you can tell them apart. Just an idea.

1 Like

I like the Airbus VS Boeing idea!

1 Like

The only one in the classroom who will know what a Concorde is, is the teacher. People who are born after 1990 really would not know what a Concorde is and not realise how amazing it was.

3 Likes

People born in the 2000’s here even know what it is and how great it was 😂

2 Likes

I’m talking about the class. A class full of average boring people will not know what a Concorde is unless they were old enough to remember it taking to the skies.

If you were old enough to see it, av-geek or not you knew what it was

1 Like

And take it from someone who knows no aviation geeks and from people who think the airfield is the apron. We all know what the Concorde is and what it was all about. It may be the fact that it was made in Filton 40 minutes away from where I live, but it’s not as rare to know about as one may think.

1 Like

Supersonic aviation is a topic that young (and older) people will find interesting. You could start your talk by asking questions:

1. If you could fly from London to New York in 3.5 hours instead of 6.5, would you think is a good idea?
  2. Would business people spend the extra money for this?
  3. If this is so cool, then why did the Concorde stop flying?

And then you explain why Concorde had to stop flying.

• pollution
  • aircrafts were getting a bit old
  • expensive to maintain and modernise. Spare aircraft needed in various locations
  • only fly over sea, because of sonic boom

As a bonus you can talk about what a sonic boom.is.

Good luck!

4 Likes

The Airbus A320: The New Generation of Airliners
That would be a good topic to talk about

1 Like

The concept of Fly-by-wire.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help guys in the end I did a talk about supersonic aviation and touched on different parts of a lot of you suggestions. I was able to talk about it for 3 times the recommended time which got me top in the class even if I bored people to sleep.

6 Likes

I did consider that.

1 Like