Scariest Experience

What is the scariest experience you’ve had whilst on a plane? It came in flight, on the ground it can be to do with a fault with the aircraft or the weather!

1 Like

Not that scary, but going around several times at LBA. Leeds is notorious for its crosswinds, being the highest airport in the UK.

3 Likes

Hard landing at SJO. Not really scary but startling. 10 PM SJO time and I was half asleep leaning against the window

2 Likes

Near crash on the taxiway at IST!

When the plane hit very high turbulence as we were landing. I think it was something around 15 knots of wind. It was at LHR

First time flying, and I was in a 172. A Huge gust of wind came and the plane went from ———__——— dropped really quick.

I use to work for delta cargo and they sent me on some training for U.S airways as well. So coming back home (MSY) from Arizona there was a guy on board that caught a heart attack. So naturally everyone freaked thinking some thing is wrong with the plane, and even the lady next to me was like " lord Jesus,lord Jesus". So we had an emergency landing at Tennessee for the gentleman.

Worst experience ever. Very helpless feeling. Even knowing nothing was wrong with the plane u could still feel the anxiety in the air. But due to this experience my heart goes out for those who passed in accidents or was in near death experiences on airplanes. Because I know that helpless feeling. And nothing was even wrong with the aircraft,let alone if something was.

3 Likes

On an American Airlines flight from narita to dfw on a 777-300er and hit high turbulence and the plane went up and down several times and that’s not all! The captain of the plane said the front wheels hydraulic pressure was low and it might not come down on approach so we got closer and closer to the airport but it turned out that it was a false alarm but we had to wait for around 10 minutes on the runway so the firefighters can check the landing gear and we taxied to gate and the pilot let me sit on the captains seat so it was a pretty weird flight!

1 Like

I was landing at EGBB and it was a stormy night with rain, fog, low visibility and about 35kts of wind we started our approach and the plane was getting thrown around a lot anyway we hit the ground really hard and it felt like it took forever to slow down. When we turned of the runway we saw we had about 300ft of the runway left!

Too fast landing at KMDW on a Delta 717.

Not much of a scary flight, but we had a huge headwind on takeoff in a 737-600 and we just started rolling down and all of a sudden we were in the air at like 80 gs.

Yes! Ryanair 737-800 from Bari to Ciampino (rome) caught in a horrible thunderstorm, worst experience ever! Especially because my grandmother was screaming throughout the whole flight 😂 . 'Twas pretty scary at the time.

Dubrovnik airport’s wonderful approach. Very turbulent, then a very early base turn onto a short final for the runway. Was very unexpected the first time I went there, especially as they descended steeply on the turns.

While in Iraq back in 2013 the MH-6 I was flying took a round in the tail and we suffered a LTE and went down from around 75 ft

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Landing in La Paz, Bolivia (LPB) AA 757-200 almost went off the runway because of a fast approach and landing, and on the same flight, this guy had trouble breathing because of an Asthma attack :O

1 Like

You can solve the problem by increasing airspeed, using the vertical stabilizer to reduce yaw or if application of speed or tail-rotor thrust isn’t there you can try an autorotation. Note that a full autorotative which will eliminate the torque and the spin and yaw will go through friction which is what we did we had a hard run on landing which caused our right skid to break and we rolled over

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Not scary for me, but scary for the rest of the passengers, had a bit of windshear 5 seconds after rotation on a 744, the VS dropped and everyone thought we were falling and a collective gasp went through the cabin, we were fine afterward though.

Overall yes we just dropped our customers and in the littlebird it’s just us stick actuators when we have no skid riders lol it did however get me the nickname smooth hands

1 Like