Scariest Airport or in-Air Experience

July 2014 BOS-FLL, descending on the FISEL5 (now FISEL7) we got either slam dunked by MIA_CTR or the pilots had a high descent IAS plugged into the FMS-we wound up at -6200FPM. It was a hell of a dive and full boards were out-first time I’d been nervous on a plane in years. My poor wife heard me say “oh” and started muttering “omg my husband is nervous on a plane we’re all going to die I have to call my mother!”

My ears were killing me for a couple hours after that.

2 Likes

I remember 2 years ago I was flying volarís from MMTJ-MMMZ and when we were climbing I heard the engines go quiet. Then, they would go back up all of a sudden. Once in a while the captain would say something in Spanish and since I didn’t know a lot of Spanish back then, i got scared and asked my parents what he said. Nothing was wrong I was just really terrified.

1 Like

I fly in and out of Seattle every month and boy can that area have some gnarly turbulence.

1 Like

MMTJ Tijiuana?

It’s a rather standard procedure for aircraft to reduce thrust shortly after takeoff.

You can really notice it at airports with heavy noise restrictions like Orange County.

3 Likes

Yeah, I realize that now but back then it scared me. 😅

In 2010 when I was only young we were departing out of Orlando, it was thunder and lightning and raining quite bad, and to top it off we also had a bird strike.

So we had to do an emergency landing with one engine and bad weather conditions. Thankfully though we landed safely

3 Likes

Although I’ve had some pretty gnarly turbulence over the years the most disconcerting experience I ever had was flying back to college in the NY area two days after Captain Sully ditched Cactus 1549 into the Hudson. The approach into KEWR went along the river and you could still see the plane tied to a dock or something. I then realized I was also in an A320, it was still migratory bird season, and I had an emergency row seat.

6 Likes

MAX8 nuff said.

1 Like

6 years ago I visited the United States with my siblings and my dad. I was 15 years old at the time and my English was terrible. We arrived in Los Angeles (or San Francisco, I’m not so sure anymore) and went through the immigration process. All four of us went to the TSA desk. Me and my sister were let through first. We walked a couple feet and wanted to wait for my dad and brother when a TSA agent showed up. I hardly understood what he said, again my English was terrible. He told us we couldn’t wait here. I tried to explain in my limited English that we were waiting for my dad. He didn’t care. So, in a crowded airport my 13 year old sister and myself were sent away from the area, down the escalator to the baggage claim area. My dad and brother still up there at the immigration desk. Luckily we found each other again pretty fast. This wouldn’t have been that bad if I’d have been able to speak English. But I wasn’t 😂

4 Likes

I was about to board the bus out to an awaiting plane in Shanghai PVG, when I realized I had left my carry on bag (With a really expensive instrument) at security. Did a mad dash up 3 flights of stairs and across the whole terminal to get it, and I still made the flight.

3 Likes

I was flying from FCO to ORD on an American Airlines 787-8. The weather was bad and there was a thunderstorm above us. We sat in the plane on the tarmac for about 45 minutes before we were allowed to takeoff. The takeoff was a little bumpy when we were in the clouds, and it took us a while to get through the clouds. Once we got above the clouds it got smooth. Then we made a right turn and it got really bumpy, and I was very nervous. The rest of the flight was relatively smooth with some casual bumps.

Definitely Tunisia Intl’ we heard gunfire and the plane was then taxied to the runway and we done a very steep takeoff, those GE90 were definitely roaring I’d say about 95% Throttle.

1 Like

They ran out of Biscoffs…

3 Likes

What was the date?

I have experienced the exact thing. I’ve lived in Doha, Qatar for around 2 years and have flown with QA countless times. We once had to land on a mild sandstorm.

2 Likes

That’s a crime.

3 Likes

I was once traveling from Manchester (UK) to Lisbon via Frankfurt. Once I got off the flight, I make my way through the luggage checks in the transit zone (the first time in 3 years of traveling through FRA that this happened).

My backpack gets put aside for inspection. Next thing I know, I was being asked why there were traces of Marijuana and cocaine inside my backpack. I was then ‘interviewed’ by armed police officers, and they let me go because it turns out that the swab used before I arrived.

When I thought that it was all over, I go through German Immigration, they started making a fuss that my passport was reported as stolen and they said I couldn’t catch my flight to Lisbon.

After half an hour of convincing (and the boss calls into the Italian Embassy) and they confirmed that my passport was valid and I managed to catch my onward flight.

1 Like

Man that’s crazy, I haven’t had any crazy experiences yet, I’ve only flown like Four Flights and I was very you both where round trips equaling 4 flights.
So I don’t have much to say

Not just a crime, a genocide.

4 Likes

I don’t think I ever had a flight I’d call scary, or a scary airport experience, closest thing I’d say was I was in a private jet (forgot which one, it was probably around the size of a Learjet 35) departing KEYW and we hit a brief section of turbulence and dropped what felt to be a couple hundred feet very quickly. In a small plane like that, I was pretty scared.

However, while this didn’t happen to me, my grandfather always told me about a really scary experience back in either the 70s or 80s. I believe it was on PanAm or Varig or Aerolíneas Argentinas (it was one of those airlines and I don’t remember the aircraft type he told me) from Sao Paulo to Buenos Aires, and during descent the plane flew through rough weather, hit pretty bad turbulence, and then dropped a couple thousand feet extremely quickly. Food, baggage, drinks, all that stuff flew up in the air. My grandfather told me he looked around and saw people praying and just hiding their eyes, fearing for their lives. The plane finally stabilized and landed, and people cheered and prayed once again (this time being thankful). Drinks and baggage were all over the place from the drop. The entire drop only lasted a few seconds, but covered a lot of distance.
He tells me this story time to time, and I can’t image how scary it was to have been on that plane.