Saudi Arabian Airlines planes left with doors wide-open?

Saudi Arabian Airlines planes left with doors open?

My father, who works out in Saudi Arabia recently left Jediah for an internal flight on the A330 over to Ryihad. He snapped this bizarre photo of parked Saudi Airlines aircraft parked up with their doors and cargo hold doors open.

I thought this might be due to the heat, but surely this is asking for trouble with sand and breaches security. As you can clearly see, there is no ground crew around the aircraft. Any ideas?

Some other photos from his latest flight:

20 Likes

im not to sure. quite interesting. i wonder if its because while there on a remote stand they cannot run on ground power so the staff who need to get onboard the plane if work is needed can have fresh air

3 Likes

Mate, just saying, you don’t need a big and bold heading that is the same as your title.

Anyways, I’m not sure why they do this. Maybe I can do some research.

6 Likes

Its a heading though, kinda its role ;) Call it my trademark haha!

And thanks mate, let me know what you get!

3 Likes

I don’t know! I think this might belong in #real-world-aviation because it’s less of a spotting adventure an more of a question.

1 Like

This occurs at LAX too. Qantas and Virgin Australia planes do this on the far west side by thier hangars. Probably for maintenance.

3 Likes

Sorry about the wrong source, Here is the right one
http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546455

I also have seen this before with some Garuda 737s that were parked on the ramp a.k.a Remote Parkings.

1 Like

I think it’s for air circulation. (*`air conditioning without ground power or APU*). Saw that in AUH a few days ago in remote parking spots

Im guessing for Air Flow, It happens everywhere and its nothing new. It only happens in remote stands, in some cases, away from fences

As @777-200LR said, Qantas does this at LAX. I don’t think I’ve ever flown out of LAX without seeing Qantas A380s at hangars with all of their doors open. I’m not sure why they do it but as it’s next to Qantas’ maintenance hangar I’d have to assume it’s for maintenance. However I’ve only ever seen maybe 2 or 3 at the most with all of their doors open. I’ve never seen so many like in the pictures you posted. Also I always see ground crews next to these aircraft so they aren’t just left seemingly abandoned like in your pictures.

1 Like

Could it be for maintenance maybe?

I see this at Santiago Airport too. The Amercian airliners staying for the day are parked on an unused taxiway with their doors left open. I too presume it is to do with the heat

1 Like

Where are the doors?! Are they slide doors,

3 Likes

It’s a 767, those doors slide up.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.