SAS scraps On-board Duty-free, Should other airlines do the same?

SAS have recently announced that they will be scrapping all on board duty free services in a bid to cut down on aircraft weight which will in the long run save fuel. They have said that this measure will be implemented in autumn with the goal of cutting emmisions by 25 percent by 2030.

According to the airline, the buying behaviour with is passengers has changed and sustainability has become more important. SAS’s targets for 2030 also include 17 percent use of biofuels.

Source: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/sas-scraps-on-board-duty-free-to-cut-aircraft-weight-458684/

Have you ever bought anything from the onboard Duty Free services before?

• Yes i have before
  • Never

0 voters

Do you think other airlines should follow SAS’s footsteps and also consider scrapping the service?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

I’m kinda confused, so SAS will not let Passengers bring Duty Free Services items on board
Or the other way around

They will not be offering such services anymore.

Ok thanks for that clarification

1 Like

It makes sense. I think Ryanair should scrap it. They sell lottery tickets on their planes. I think it is good. Not to mention that airports have duty free stores.

1 Like

I am going to be honest here and tell that they are not doing it for the environment. They are clearly doing it to cut prices.

2 Likes

If there is no duty free, so what?

You can always buy them at the airport.

Depends. If airlines can make money from it then yes they should keep it but most don’t. I say keep the Airline merchandise and scrap everything else. If I want to buy something I will get it away from aviation ie in the air or at an airport. Much better that way personally.

1 Like

That was what I was thinking. I think they should keep some things like snacks and such, but get rid of the rest.

2 Likes

Spirit Airlines will never eliminate this, they want every half a penny they can get!

And how much can the Duty-Free items weigh??

1 Like

A lot actually. One cart of duty free things is a little more or less than 100 pounds. Stack a bunch of these things on a plane and they can make a major difference.

3 Likes

I could see other airlines doing something similar to this, but for the most part I can’t imagine an LCC following suit

1 Like

KLM did that too a few months ago.

1 Like

I read this the other day, I believe that they are doing the right choice for the nature

We have bought things in the duty free service onboard, but the duty free at the airports are usually so much better than those on the plane

Anyways I think there also was a general factor of low sales anyways, and the less fuel cost will outweigh the profit (if it was) in the duty free products

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.