SAR Team Update: Volunteer Flash Events ..

Seems seven people including myself are interested doing something like this. Myself, I’ve been practicing return to origin scenario after about five minutes of flight at 30k at .86m and around 25 miles down range … Visual and Instrument. I’ve been going by Boeing 001 usually out of Boeing Field on 31L … Share your ideas on how to find yourself and find your way home.

As a former long time member of the Florida Wing Civil Air Patrol, I would like to inquire as to the interest of forming a Search and Rescue Group to fly out the beaten path areas, mountains, valleys, etc perhaps placing a virtual something to be found only thru close low and slow grid search patterns! Haven’t seen anything on the forum about it, can serve to teach a new generation in the philosophy and high standards of performance and achievements in aircraft and aerodynamics!

Thanks for letting me participate 😎

6 Likes

Former SERE/SAR Officer/Coordinator. Have a passing interest. Let’s see what kind of response is received. Might make a worthwhile group with a real world learning objective. Max Sends

3 Likes

Sounds very interesting and a lot of fun!

1 Like

This would be a blast

1 Like

Sounds like you could be the Lead in this, look forward to seeing this happen!

I’d be interested. Have had a bit of involvement with MRT on the ground in the past, which probably doesn’t qualify me for this, but I’d be happy to get involved.

1 Like

When I was a kid I was absolutely intrigued with flight, my Grandfather whole career was this going back to the Boeing Stearman! Baker Aircraft Service was the name of his hanger, went to airshows where it seemed everyone knew each other … anyway got involved with CAP, learned about the men and machines that pioneered today’s flying world PLUS participated in a kind of civil service by being trained and available for downed aircraft and their crew and passengers. I originally learned to fly in an L-17, hope that’s the right nomenclature … anyway in the spirit of that environment, learning the physics and history, kind of geo cache kinda ideas about finding something in our virtual regions would be line a treasure hunt while minding altitude and speed for mountain and valley flying, things line that. It’s a broad idea, clearly without focus yet.

I’m a follower Cat. It’s your baby nurse it. (Suggest you consider Reginal Teams w/ a SAR Coordinator for each) Max Sends

1 Like

Relatively speaking, I’m new here. So in saying that I don’t want to appear as if I own the place … even with ideas as it is other people’s work and effort that has established the whole server, forum, etc. I don’t have any qualms about following thru. Purpose: to learn and enjoy that knowledge!

Cold feet? Cat. Everyone here started that way. Make your mark, lead, follow or get out of the way! Max Sends

3 Likes

Cold feet? Don’t know the meaning 😎 Am excited about it and will continue to be assertive in my virtual aviation career!

Thanks guys for the support and encouragement.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Well, in CAP the objective was downed aircraft or lost hikers etc … So maybe, just an idea and welcome anything that’s a better idea, one Could land a Cessna somewhere not an airport and then others could look for it from a generated report on general vicinity of aircraft …

Obviously, HUD and other aircraft installed in the options menu could be turned off for this exercise

2 Likes

2 Likes

Indeed! Love it!

1 Like

Lots of variables, just depends on how is themed …

Looking for aircraft parked on mountain

Looking for lost aircraft in the air

Making yourself lost (under zero visibility, sudden fog of the century, using instruments to get to known airport, or follow ATC to unknown airport)

Using terrain only to find way back (perfect visibility, no instruments)

Playing hide n seek

2 Likes

1 Like

The only downside I can see is that all planes are clearly marked on the map when on a live server. Maybe the devs could give us an option to turn off the transponder for special events? That would make it a real challenge!

1 Like

1 Like