San Jose Gets 5 New Routes

In the midst of this coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, airlines have been losing money left and right. Pretty much all of the airlines have moved to make reductions and/or cuts in their operations, whether that be complete cuts to certain airports or the removal/suspension of low-demand routes. Norman Y Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC/KSJC) has felt a lot of those cuts. It had permanently lost an airline, all of the long haul routes were suspended until further notice, and new destinations SJC fans have been excited about were put on hold.

Despite these rough times, Alaska Airlines and Volaris did take this opportunity to add new routes to the humble airport of the Bay Area. Some of the routes are completely new routes that SJC did not ever have service to. Others are routes that were previously served by other airlines but were either discontinued or suspended.

The following is a list of the newly added routes:

• San Jose (SJC) to Spokane (GEG) with Alaska (already started)
  • San Jose (SJC) to Redmond-Bend (RDM) with Alaska
  • San Jose (SJC) to Missoula (MSO) with Alaska
  • San Jose (SJC) to Jackson Hole (JAC) with Alaska
  • San Jose (SJC) to Mexico City (MEX) with Volaris

Spokane service began on September 1, 2020 (a few days ago). The first flight was AS2175 operated by N650QX.

Service to Redmond will begin on March 1, 2021

Service to Missoula will begin on March 11, 2021

Service to Jackson Hole will begin on December 19, 2020, and will be a winter seasonal service up until April 10, 2021

Service to Mexico City will begin on November 9, 2020

What will this mean for San Jose?

After being struck with rapidly declining passenger numbers because of the global pandemic, San Jose has been losing flights and services left and right. As airlines reconsolidate their operations to survive, many have opted to cut some services from the airport. As people become more comfortable to fly on airplanes over time, airports have been rebounding from their blows. Having 5 new routes at San Jose would allow for a bit of growth in this time of uncertainty. These new routes could also pave the way for even more flights to be added and re-added to San Jose as time goes on.

What do I think of this?

In this time of uncertainty and surprise, I think this is the most positive news I have heard from my favorite airport in a long time. Many of these routes were announced earlier but weren’t really reported here on the IFC. I’m excited about these new routes and I really hope we can slowly bounce back from the damage that this pandemic has caused.

Read More

17 Likes

I’m digging that Jackson Hole route. Such a beautiful destination. If you ever get the chance to visit, do it!

4 Likes

Well, I was able to visit Cour d’Alene, Idaho recently and we are intending to explore more of that general area in the MT time zone

So we’ll see!

Very excited about this one! Not only does one of my home airports now have service to all 3 airports in the Bay Area, but I can finally convence you to fly to Montana more often!

I saw San Jose in the title and was kind of hoping you meant San Jose, Costa Rica, but still some great news for you and @GlobalFlyer1

1 Like

happy @BigBert10 noises

Yay, more routes!

Yay, you must be very excited! I’m also super excited to see that SJC-AUS start up on American finally!

I’ve always wanted to go to Montana but we have to get school out of the way first

2 Likes

Still no ASA to SNA 😔
I don’t think that’ll be coming back

Cool topic!

ASA left SNA? Or is SNA just suspended?

1 Like

My hometown airport

It left last year ☹️

What do you mean? I see a couple of ASA flights at SNA

Not from San Jose

Oh yeah, I was sad when AS cut that route :(

1 Like

We used to have ABQ also. And then SWA did that route too 😒

1 Like

Route 6 - San Jose to Palm Springs with Alaska.

Twice daily E-175 from December 17

2 Likes

Wow. I did not expect that

YES! I’ve always wanted an SJC-PSP route! Thank you Alaska!!! 😃

PSP is such a cool airport