Safest aircraft in a storm

What is the safest aircraft for flying through extreme weather? I know the C-130 is often used by hurricane hunters, but is it the safest in extreme weather?

Also, whichever is the safest aircraft, why is it? What makes an aircraft safer or less safe in a storm (given equal pilot skill)?

2 Likes

Dash 8 Q400

3 Likes

isn’t the A340 one of the safest?

1 Like

Ilyushin Il62. They were built tough.

Physics are physics. A craft flying amongst an atmosphere is more or less in the same proverbial boat as all the others. Statistics from events past are situational, although a larger craft is substantially more stable than a smaller one. The hurricane hunter is a great example. However, any failure of the structure or operation of any craft could quickly compromise its capability to combat an atmosphere, so my opinion is that the fine details are based on a craft to craft basis. Obviously the wise pilot will avoid the inclement weather whenever possible.

2 Likes

A380 with me as a pilot. The storm will go home crying. But in all seriousness I’m not to sure…

3 Likes

All the Russian aircraft from the Tu114 onwards were built very safe.

The Alaskan 737-400’s because I flew in storms (I think turbulence is fun lol) but they are modified for alot if stuff

1 Like

One parked in a hangar. ;)

11 Likes

P3 Orion, P8 Poseidon would be my guesses. They dont go Hurricane hunting in the P3 for no reason. Also I would say the most Maritime Control Aircraft, since they are substantially have to fly alone over the open water pretty far out; so the P8 would be my second guess.
However since big masses have a bigger inertia than small ones and the bigger aircraft have mostly unstiffer wings, they absorb turbulence better. Also, the higher the wing flex is, the smoother is the ride since wing rocks arent directed into the fuselage. In the end I would however tend to the Maritime Patrol Aircraft since they are pretty durable built and even keep coming home with big damage.

2 Likes

I think the true skill in a pilot is in AVOIDING flying through a storm. Even a “strongly” built plane is still relatively fragile. Whilst a “Hurricane Hunter” researches at the edge of a storm even they don’t fly directly towards the eye (I stand to be corrected there!)

2 Likes

Definitely A380 to me

1 Like

wrong statement. Check out what they actually do then come back. no offense.

As I stated I am happy to be corrected on the flight plan of Huracane Hunters. But that dosnt counteract my previous statement that aircraft by their general specifics are inherently fragile. No offence.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.