Ryanair's first retrofitted 737-800!

The “NEW” Ryanair 737-800

The Boeing 737-800 that launched the modification programme is EI-DLY, a 16.27-year-old example of the well-known US narrowbody that, according to information from ch-aviation.com, has spent its whole career at Ryanair. Glasgow Prestwick Airport (PIK), where EI-DLY arrived from Birmingham Airport (BHX) in the early hours of January 5th, is the location of the procedure, according to FlightRadar24.

Photo source : AirplanePictures.net - by Ignasi González
  • So what does this mean for Ryanair?

The Boeing 737-800’s present winglets will be replaced by split scimitar winglets, which is expected to lower fuel consumption by 1.5%. Simple Flying estimated last year that, over the course of six months, this would result in savings of more than $30 million based on a total fuel expenditure of $2.18 billion in the first half of 2022.

• Does this mean cheaper tickets?

While for some carriers, a large role that is played by fuel costs is the ever-increasing ticket prices, for Ryanair this may not be the case. With its already extremely cheap flights, starting from as low as €6.99, this is just another way the airline is moving towards its goal of net-zero emissions by 2050 that aligns to the Paris Agreement and the aviation industry’s Destination 2050 initiative.

WIth only 408 more aircraft to go, will this scheme bring a smile to O’Leary’s face?
Fellow spotters and travellers, drop some pictures below if you manage to catch EI-DLY looking like her contestant!

18 Likes

First pictures of the new installed split scimitars on Ryanair 737

9 Likes

Still ain’t improving their landings lol

8 Likes

Gives their pilots an opportunity to do this now:

5 Likes

Another one for my collection!

2 Likes

Well then this is good for passengers but Ryanair landing aren’t going away

2 Likes

I wouldn’t exepct them to hahaha

1 Like

Could think that was the MAX 8-200 on first glance, but on closer inspection they are different by far!

2 Likes

They indeed have some similarities, but both winglets look pretty cool.

Maybe I like the 737NG split scimitars a little bit more because of the pointy tip they got

2 Likes

That split-scimitar is definitely neater than the NG or Max in my personal opinion, though the Max winglet has its benefits as well!
(maybe even more than the split scimitar)

1 Like