Ryanair's "Bad" Landings - Explanation

Well, with all the terrible landings at SBA, we just get used to seeing it. 😂 JK, but I feel like people after seeing some videos from YouTube just hop on the Ryanair hate bandwagon also.

2 Likes

I am too such as today but mainly because ZUUU has a ridge higher than the runway and I preflared early thanks to the callout and it being night

1 Like

Interesting… On youtube you can find that they do have some pretty sketchy landings, but maybe the Ryanair hate bandwagon just makes those videos more prominent.

1 Like

I agree with this topic, I think Ryanair gets a bad rep and is unfairly judged most of the time. I guess you get what you pay for 🤣

1 Like

Whilst I like the sentiment I don’t really, after many thousands of hours flying, believe the cause!!!

Personally I would take a couple of factors into account, inexperience and fatigue.

Ryanair are a ‘starter’ airline for many ab-initio FO’s and therefore their overall experience level is pretty low. The LHS isn’t particularly better with many experienced FO’s and inexperienced Captains leaving for better Terms and Conditions at other carriers. Don’t forget that Ryanair offer very rapid LHS promotion times. Good for the pilot but not often that good for the experience level of the company. The role of the LHS is to enhance and nurture the experience level of those in the RHS. That takes both time and continuity. If your staff are churning in both seats then you have a lack of both.

The 737 is not difficult to land. Any swept wing heavy jet needs to be ‘flown’ onto the runway. The only times I would advocate ‘putting it down’ is in strong crosswinds, a very wet or contaminated runway or short, performance limiting runway (or a carrier but that’s a previous life!!!). Other than that there is no reason to slam it into the deck and then claim ‘that’s what Boeing says’!!!

On a nice day into any normal airfield then a nice, controlled smooth landing can be achieved, irrespective of the aircraft type. No or little flare followed by a rough landing and smacking it onto the ground is detrimental to all parts of the airframe let alone the paying baggage and the engineers certainly won’t appreciate it!

Not RYR bashing as it happens in other airlines as well but RYR is pretty prevalent.

Always remember that you are only as good as your last landing!!!

Edited to add: Any landing made outside of the runway touchdown markings is a deep landing and is, in my company anyway, a mandatory go-around/baulked landing. It’s very, very difficult for a new/inexperienced pilot to shout ‘go-around’ to his/her more experienced Captain though and that cross cockpit gradient can lead to such scenarios as a deep landing and heavy braking.

The rubber spins up perfectly on a smooth landing when the runway braking action is good or dry. No issues there!

5 Likes

Hmmm…I have mixed feelings about this

Well even though Ryanair is cheap that has nothing to do with how the aircraft acts as Cameron said the 737 is a hard plane to land. So I wouldn’t put the blame on Ryanair I’ve been on a lot of 737s and none of them I’ve experienced has had a “somewhat smooth landing” so even though it’s a rough landing, to everyone that’s complaining about these landings be grateful that they landed on the runway…not in a field.

1 Like

Ryanair just got a major problem, not only with landings. Easyjet placed new adds in Berlin, Germany
werbung-easyjet-plakat
(Sorry for bad quality, picture is from https://www.aerotelegraph.com/easyjet-disst-ryanair-mir-plakaten )

You can translate it for yourself, I am actually at work. I can only tell you:
You can like exploitation if you would be on the upper side.
You also can be a real human and dont like that

I only dont like Ryanair, the 737 is a beauty

In addition, there is a chance that the spoilers do not extend when landing too smooth. One reason why this can happen is that the aircraft might not “feel” the touchdown and do not know it is on the ground.

Where does all this ‘the 737 is a difficult/hard aircraft to land’ come from? No it isn’t.

The spoilers deploy once the main strut has compressed enough to trigger the ground air switch. Trust me even on the smoothest of landings they’re going to deploy pretty rapidly once braking commences!

Landings are simple, they are a ‘plan’ until the last 5 feet then anything can happen. You win some you lose some.

3 Likes

I actually flew Ryanair today, and the landing was extremely smooth, so it all depends on the pilot you have and wind conditions

1 Like

Ryanair=Budget Airline=Uses Small Cheap Airports=Small Runway=Hard Landing.

A friend of a friend flies for Ryanair, there aim is to land, not go around, and guess what sometimes, you have to land hard to ensure you land, and don’t float off (Wheeeeeeeeeeeee).

Ryanair-Whiplash made simple

That is bending the truth a little to say the least. I’ve operated Airbus into small runways without the necessity for a ‘hard landing’. Putting the aircraft down in the right place at the right speed without ‘smacking it in’ should be within the ability of any flight crew.

Given the caveat of contamination/severe weather or a truly performance limited runway (there really aren’t many of them in Europe that the 737 serves believe me) then there should be no excuse for hard landings. As stated above, experience plays a huge role and with the bigger airlines recruiting then RYR has a continued struggle to retain experience.

Edited to add:
An occasional ‘thumper’ is part of the job but to consistently thump the aircraft into the runway seems to be an issue. All IMHO of course! :D

1 Like

I actually disagree politely, seeing as the airports Ryanair most commonly fly out of such as Dublin and London Stansted have pretty decent - sized runways, London Stansted having around 10000 feet of runway length and Dublin having around an 8,600 foot runway. Ryanair is a budget airline, but that does not really have much to do with the airports they use. Dublin is quite an airport, and definitely not a cheap one, so that does not have anything to do with the hard landings SOME aircraft encounter ( If that is the word you use for it ).

Once again, I am disagreeing politely, and not trying to start an argument or anything.

Thanks,
Global Flyer1

Everyone will probably be spamming @Swiss after this.

I’m not saying that only fly into smaller airfields. Ofcourse they fly into larger airfields like Dublin and Manchester, but they are known for keeping costs low, and part of that is using airfields that are less costly to operate to, the inly reasons why Ryanair would operate to Stansted, is because there are no small airfields in the London Area with the facilities to accomodate a 737 and its passengers.

You can’t float a 737 down a runway can you? I don’t know, especially if its small, its better not to take risks, especially with Ryanair recruiting Pilots with low hours and experience.

But, I am going off what I have been told, fhey migjt be lies, but I see it as being reasonable.

Yes, but a pilot can still land smoothly in smaller airfields, and the keeping costs low thing is true, but again, that does not normally affect the ability of the pilots. Every airline has its bad landings, like I recently flew on Air Canada and it was a terrible landing, but I just happened to be on that flight. And, a lowly experienced pilot can still execute a smooth landing, while some highly experienced pilots can still execute a terrible one.

What I am saying is, Small Runway, you don’t have the time to float it down the runway, you want to get it down, and not worry about trying to make it smooth, and by the time you know it, your halfway down the runway, then you have to Go-Around, do pilots want to do that? Nooo, especially Ryanair flight crew. It’s better not to take the risk. The same goes for any aircraft, or pilot, you can’t focus on smoothing out a landing at an airport with a 700ft runway in a PA28, het it on the numbers, and hard if you need to.

1 Like