Ryanair Orders 75 More Boeing 737 MAX-8200s

Ryanair is ordering 75 more Boeing 737 MAX 200s

Just now, Boeing announced Ryanair has placed a firm order for 75 more Boeing 737-8-200s, a modified version of the 737 MAX 8 that can carry up to 200 passengers.

Ryanair will be the launch customer of this 737-8-200 or “737 MAX 8200” variant and they’ll specifically configure them with 197 passengers.

Ryanair currently has 135 of these 737-8-200s on order, so this additional order will bring the count up to 210 aircraft. According to Reuters yesterday, Ryanair is supposedly getting a 66% discount on this order.

Ryanair CEO Michael O’Leary:

“Ryanair’s board and people are confident that our customers will love these new aircraft. Passengers will enjoy the new interiors, more generous leg room, lower fuel consumption and quieter noise performance. And, most of all, our customers will love the lower fares, which these aircraft will enable Ryanair to offer starting in 2021 and for the next decade, as Ryanair leads the recovery of Europe’s aviation and tourism industries.”

This represents Boeing’s largest and most important aircraft order of 2020. The 737 MAX was ungrounded just a little over two weeks ago, and airlines are already showing confidence again.

Last week Alaska Airlines announced it would increase its 737 MAX fleet by 13 aircraft through a lease agreement.

Press Release/Image Credits

Press Release: https://boeing.mediaroom.com/2020-12-03-Ryanair-Orders-75-More-Boeing-737-MAX-Jets

Older Reuters article: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-boeing-737max-ryanair-idUSKBN28C223

Image by Boeing

Congratulations to Boeing and Ryanair on this deal! Depending on the airline, we could see more MAX orders coming soon.

18 Likes

Really can’t wait to fly this beauty when the pandemic is over. Happy to see things looking up for the European max program again.

14 Likes

What??? How?? Is that even legal? Or just black friday sales?

5 Likes

I’m not sure if that’s exactly illegal, but Ryanair’s supposedly getting a massive discount as part of their 737 MAX compensation for the groundings and it’s to make the deal a “headline grabber” to show other airlines they should buy the MAX.

The deal has a list value of $7bn (pounds). But with discounts, the true value is estimated closer to $3bn or less. Neither Boeing nor Ryanair commented on pricing.

3 Likes

Nah, as there is alot more tech in the MAX, it must be Cyber Monday!

1 Like

Well, the news is hardly a surprise I guess. Ryanair operates exclusively with the 737 family, I can’t imagine that’ll ever change. The discount is incredible however, wish I could get 66% off a car or something.

The only thing that concerns me is their overwhelming confidence with

They sound very much like Apple in the sense that it’s “we don’t care if you like it or not, this is what you are getting and you don’t have another choice”. I expect a lot of the general public are still quite nervous of flying on the Max, but I guess time will tell. At the massive discount they’ve gotten these aircraft, they’ll be making money on them regardless.

3 Likes

Can’t wait to see this !

looks like a smaller 757 now

Ryanair is one of Boeings most important customers. Think about, Ryanair owns however many hundreds of Boeing aircraft. Imagine Boeing’s reaction if they announced plans to go to but 100 A320NEOs.
Suppliers - in this case, Boeing - often give large businesses - in this case, Ryanair - massive discounts on bulk buying supplies - in this case, aircraft - to ensure they stay as a customer. If Boeing lost Ryanair, they loose a massive customer.
I also imagine it’s compensation for the MAX crisis.

1 Like

Ryanair que up in front of Boeing headquarters at 12am on Black Friday to be first on the doors and get that sweet discount

0D609426-0973-49CF-A796-C0259984413B
why tho

2 Likes

Boeing and Airbus both offer discounts to to companies with big orders

why was my post considered inaapropriate, can any of you take a joke?

Here they are 🤩🤩

1 Like

This is very normal. When airlines order in mass like this they receive a sizeable discount. With Ryanair, a loyal customer to Boeing, placing a huge order on a struggling plane will mean an even bigger discount. Happens with all plane orders.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.