RWY 13L approach at JFK

Hello all can we address how every time there is ATC at jfk and they are using the 13s the approach for RWY 13L is not realistic at all but yet we push the idea of realism down everybody’s throat on the expert server how about we make that approach just as challenging as it is in real life. We all know that RWY 13L is one of the best and challenging approaches in the world but yet everytime there is atc at jfk they all make you start your approach wayyyyyyy out over New Jersey which isn’t the real approach for that runway.

4 Likes

@Shane26 whats your input on this

@T.Malone what’s your input on this.

1 Like

From what I’ve seen, the 13L approach is usually done correctly with or without ATC

1 Like

At least we get them landed.

4 Likes

From an IFATC controller on this and having controlled KJFK multiple times, I will say that we try our best to accommodate real-world procedures when traffic is light. Still, as soon as it gets heavy, we have to ditch irl procedures and do our best to have traffic in a smooth flow pattern.

Sometimes people who make the 13L approach mess up our traffic patterns, and we must adjust to the traffic flow.

2 Likes

First, the original poster should provide a little more context to their statement.

Are they speaking about a situation where there was only a local controller, or are they speaking about a situation in which a radar controller was present? If it was only a local controller, what prevented them from shooting the Canarsie visual? Was is the pattern entry instruction? If there was radar, did the radar controller vector them for sequence behind traffic that didn’t file the Canarsie visual, and instead was shooting the ILS (despite not being very realistic)?

Lot’s of context missing here which makes it just a word salad that can’t be meaningfully addressed.

2 Likes

I agree. Even more important: why should ATC Imitate realistic procedures when more than half of the pilots are not willing to fly realistic?!

4 Likes

You’ve never been to jfk or probably don’t live in New York next

1 Like

In IRL no, in the game yes

1 Like

So then don’t give out violations when we don’t fly realistic then simple logic…… next

You never visited in real life so sit this one out buddy you don’t know that approach

So what your saying is I can’t fly that approach because I’ve never been to JFK irl?

7 Likes

Radar controller when ever it’s a local controller I always shoot my Canarsie Visual approach

1 Like

You can know something even if you’ve never been. Like I am obsessed with the KSFO airport. I know everything about it, Even though i have never been there irl

7 Likes

Now you sir I understand. Thank you for explaining it perfectly.

1 Like

Violating the rules = violation. Simple. Welcome.

4 Likes

Woah there, no need to be salty.

2 Likes

He completely missed the etiquette. I think we can stop here.

4 Likes

Rude

IFATC takes tests and goes through training to be the best controllers, they might not be entirely realistic but they do their best

3 Likes