Runway Overruns

Good day to all,

Just a question. I was controlling at RJTT (server not important) and a pilot was landing (correctly as instructed) on RWY 22, however I noticed on landing the pilot was going to miss the landing marks (which they did) on the runway, was it my responsibility as ATC to instruct a go-around or is it the PIC’s responsibility🤔

P.S. The pilot did land on the strip but overran the runway then did a “pushback” to exit the runway. I replied with an “I’m Sorry”

Pilot. You only tell them to go around if there’s is a conflict with another aircraft, or some sort of immediate danger. But landing the plane on the marks, and everything else about landing, is up to the pilot.

4 Likes

I usually wait for the pilot to call a GA if he feels it’s right. If it’s busy, I definitely don’t have time to see if he’s about to crash, it’s his responsibility.

4 Likes

Thank you I really appreciate that because I was looking at my radar and looking at the tower of view I guess the ATC Highview and they landed halfway down the runway before the wheels touchdown

1 Like

Ya, that’s an Oof, but his fult. He is in charge of landing his aircraft, and making sure it’s safe. You’re just there to make sure the aircraft are safe relative to each other.

1 Like

As a controller you do check the aircraft type that is requesting inbound, and you give him a pattern entry instruction towards a runway of suitable length.

If a pilot in his 747 requests a 5000 feet runway, and you can accommodate it, then this is the pilots responsibility.

You don’t instruct a go-around unless you see a possible clash with other aircrafts. A go-around for the inbound is pilots decision.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.