"Runway in sight" request for foggy days

Hello,
When an airport has thick fog where the pilot cannot see the runway until near landing, the tower will sometimes request for the pilot to relay a responce for when they can see the runway on their (short) final approach to the airport. I feel this would be a great request for tower to send to pilots when they cannot see them or they cannot see the airport. It could go like this:

00:00- CALLSIGN, runway 36, cleared to land.
00:01- Runway 36, cleared to land, CALLSIGN.
00:02- CALLSIGN, report runway in sight.
00:02- Roger, CALLSIGN.
00:04- Runway in sight, CALLSIGN.
00:05- CALLSIGN, roger. Continue inbound.
00:06- Continue inbound, CALLSIGN.

OR:

00:00- CALLSIGN, runway 36, cleared to land, report runway in sight.
00:01- Runway 36, cleared to land, report runway in sight, CALLSIGN.
00:04- Runway in sight, CALLSIGN.
00:05- CALLSIGN, roger. Continue inbound.
00:06- Continue inbound, CALLSIGN.

If the runway is not in sight by the time the aircraft hits the “minimum(s)” determined by the controller, the pilot should issue a missed approach to prevent hard landings, crashes, and minimal situational awareness.

00:00- CALLSIGN, runway 36, cleared to land, report runway in sight.
00:01- Runway 36, cleared to land, report runway in sight, CALLSIGN.
00:05- Aircraft hits minimums
00:05- Executing missed approach, CALLSIGN
00:06- CALLSIGN, roger, contact Random City Approach on 666.66.
00:07- Contact Random City Approach on 666.66, CALLSIGN.

Though autoland is available, it is not available on all aircraft. Plus, if there is strong winds or terrain in the approach(GPS only), the autopilot might not work properly, resulting in a crash or very off or hard landing.

I feel this command and action would add yet another layer of realism to Infinite Flight. I hope you consider voting for this, or even implementing this into the game!

Thank you all, and good day!

Insert simple yet smart and fun “log off” message here

Unfortunately am out of votes.

5 Likes

:Teardrop: awww that is fine

2 Likes

It’s not up to controllers to send someone around due to low vis, the controller does not know what minimums you are operating to and therefore can’t make that call.

After you are cleared it is up to the pilot, if you can’t see the ground by your minimum point you decide to go around.

2 Likes

This would be so cool! You get my vote ;)

1 Like

This is, unfortunatly, reversing this responsibility, as it may be easier for atc to:

1. See aircraft and if there is a conflict
  2. Decide on THEIR personal minimums. The air traffic controller is CONTROLLING the airport, right?
1 Like

This is also relying on, for example, AIRPORT minimums instead of pilot’s.

Minimums are decided by the pilot, usually from the charts:

https://uk.flightaware.com/resources/airport/JFK/IAP/ILS+OR+LOC+RWY+22L/pdf

Does a controller use ILS charts? No. The pilot flies the plane, and it is his decision if and when to call off the approach. Controllers only send go arounds if there is an issue on their side (eg separation).

7 Likes

no you have got this wrong.

the controller can send you around anyway if someone else strays on to the runway anyway (although since this is low vis i am not sure how you suggest the contoller sees that for your scenario). a controller cannot make a determination on what minimums you as a pilot operate to and whether you continue or not at your minimums point - the controller does control the airport but they have cleared you to land so beyond that it is up to you as the pilot.

2 Likes

This has been fixed. Reload if not showing up.

1 Like

As @IceBlue said, minimums are decided by the pilot not atc, and it is not the atc’s job to state missed approach due to low visbility.

But otherwise, is the feature acurate?

it’s not realistic no, this is not what happens in real life, sorry

Other than that, the feature is accurate :)

1 Like

It has been FIXED, changed to pilot triggered

The airport can be closed due to weather. At that point ATC can force aircraft away.

What’s the point in reporting runway in sight now? It dosen’t happen in big airports IRL and there is no point in it in IF. At big airports, this adds to the controllers workload unnecessarily. At quieter ones, it introduces more complexity for a pointless reason.

1 Like

Yes, I designed this to allow for this to happen if pilots are nearly always having to make a go around.

You still haven’t answered, what is the point? What benefit would this give the controller?

1 Like

To allow for people not to go flying off the runway and land in the grass. It also can make sure weather is still ok for landings.