Rumour- Virgin Australia May Go Bust

Recent news and rumours have suggested that Virgin Australia may go bust in the coming weeks due to the Coronavirus and just before the inaugural BNE-HND. Already they have announced significant route cuts and route axings with more possibly in the future. I am really hoping this is not the case and they get through their financial struggles. Virgin Australia is a major airline that serves many locations in Australia and internationally. If they go bust it will mean that Qantas will get all control and increase travel prices significantly. What are your thoughts?

• Not Virgin Australia!
  • Ohh that’s a shame kinda sad
  • Couldn’t care less

0 voters

11 Likes

Not Virgin Australia! Richard Branson better do something instead of flexing his big and bad new cruise line.

9 Likes

Virgin Australia would have to be my favourite airline

1 Like

Yeah, you can’t lose $349 million in a year and expect to keep going. I think the length of the virus will decide its fate

2 Likes

Quite a lot in losses

I was not expecting this! Personally have not been in touch with Australian aviation recently so I did not know the fact that VA is in such a position. Such a shame if we were to lose another well-known airline.

7 Likes

And just imagine how much Qantas will raise the prices. It’s scary to think about ;)

6 Likes

I’ve flown Virgin Australia once - and they were really good…

Would be sad to see it leave - I really like their livery

1 Like

Super comfy economy seats ngl

Oh dear no, please don’t go! Stay strong Virgin!

3 Likes

Reminds me of what happened with the Ansett collapse. I guess it’s a wait and see game, for the meanwhile I’m booking flights with Qantas

4 Likes

I agree, it will be like Flybe but 10x worse

1 Like

Ansett was so iconic

1 Like

Except that I think FlyBe would’ve had the bigger effect as many airports in the UK were left with no airline at all. Australia has Jetstar and Qantas, so I think they should fine. If Virgin goes bust then I think Qantas should be able to survive well through this crisis.

3 Likes

Qantas will get funding from the AU govt

1 Like

They better not go bust (I’m flying on them in a couple of weeks) 😡

But in all seriousness it’d be a real shame if they went bust. Prices would skyrocket on Qantas and Virgin brought cheaper flights to regional areas (eg a light from Mildura (my home town) would cost around $140 on Virgin, while on Qantas it can get up to $300).

3 Likes

Jetstar is still a Qantas subsidiary, so that wouldn’t matter insofar as market competition and consumer fairness in Aus

1 Like

Qantas are good with the goverment, they charter planes off Qantas, not Virgin

2 Likes

I was but Coronavirus forbid

1 Like

Coronavirus has stuffed up all my travel plans :(

1 Like