Rumbling sound

Ive noticed that whenever I fly on the 737 (IRL) right after we begin our descent and the throttles are at idle (mind you that the flight spoilers aren’t out yet) I hear this cool rumbling/buzzing sound (behind the wing) and I really kinda like it but what is it it and again this has only happened to me on 737s no other aircraft.

1 Like

Might be the gear deploying…

5 Likes

@Thunderbolt 😂

1 Like

na I said at the begining of descent, there would be an issue if it was deploying that soon.

1 Like

I don’t know what that constitutes, no altitude was provided.

2 Likes

@Thunderbolt mean maybe 5 or so minutes after you feel that classic continuous drop. where they have set the power to idle for descent.

1 Like

Fuel or Hydraulic pumps maybe?

3 Likes

hmm interesting maybe.

1 Like

Is it perhaps your stomach? 🤔

Just kidding but if it’s got a “whooshing” sound to it my guess would be spoilers. If not that flaps and gear would be my next guess. Not entirely sure.

3 Likes

I flew a 737NG sim yesterday and I don’t remember anything like that, maybe the spoilers being armed

2 Likes

I think if it’s not the landing gear, then it’s gotta be flaps. Not entirely sure.

2 Likes

Could you show us a video of the sound?

3 Likes

It’s most likely to be the wind noise, this creates a low frequency rumbling through our the entire aircraft.

That said, if it were some sort of extra rumbling that varied in volume over a short space of time, it’s more likely to have been the flight spoilers as they create an awful lot of noise when deployed.

3 Likes

It may be the wind.

Could be the flaps as well. :) Flaps 1 deploys the slats .

1 Like

Well It couldn’t be the flaps because it’s 5 minutes or so after the classic drop you feel when entering descent.

Maybe you could find a youtube video of a 737 descending and you could point out the sound to us?

2 Likes

I reckon it was the speedbrakes. They create a fair amount of noise and may have been used.

1 Like

You can’t really hear it in a video, but it may just be the air passing the wings because we can hear it more while at idle.

1 Like