Rule of thumb what should AGL be at the edge of class bravo airspace

Or at the top of the glide slope? I’m assuming the outer circle is where you should intercept the localiser, and what, generally, should be your altitude AGL at this point? I keep messing up approaches as I’m either too high or too low.

1 Like

I tend to aim for 10,000FT at 40NM and then 3,000FT at the 10 mike final/ILS path

1 Like

As a general rule of thumb, I always intercept the localiser close to the beginning of the ILS triangle at an altitude of around 2500-3000ft above the airport’s altitude. :)

5 Likes

Where’s the ILS triangle?

1 Like

Forget about the triangle or cone. What you want to know is the distance and glide slope angle/deg.

Learn to use your HUD. Learn the ins and outs of the ILS. Then learn how to judge the decent via distance & slope.

2 Likes

It’s the red triangle that leads from the edge of the runway to about 10NM out from the airport. :)

2 Likes

Just remember that for every nautical mile out from the runway, the glideslope is 300 feet AGL. So at 10 nautical miles out you intercept the glideslope at 10 x 300 = 3000 feet AGL; at 5 miles out the glideslope is 5 x 300 = 1500 feer AGL and so on.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.