Rudder tutorial

Just read the use of flaps when landing tutorial…now what about one on when you use the rudder in flight along with the ailerons …in what circumstances…only on approach to landing , when is the rudder used to turn, etc…would like a response from a real pilot like Heavy Driver, or other pros…or better still somewhat write up a short tutorial, l’m pretty sure there are at least a few out there who would like to know the proper procedures to follow

1 Like

Best reason why NOT to use the rudder inflight:

Rudder is used on ground to get on a straight line with the runway at landing while landing in crosswind conditions.

4 Likes

The rudder is also used to straighten up the aircraft to the centerline when landing (about 10-20ft agl). Usually in windy conditions while crabbing.

@Recxx. Wait for someone with time on there hands who has a schoolhouse handle on this topic to respond pls. As for the initial response; Oh, my! You guy ever hear about a “Coordinated Turn”. Aileron/Rudder manipulating. Ever Crab into a cross wind ? It used to be call Stick & Rudder, now apparently ya just dial some numbers in to the computer and hope for the best. Forgive me If I sound rude! Amazing!!!
Mad Max Sends

2 Likes

That’s why the screenshot contest winner photo doesn’t make sense.

That AA example is extreme.

1 Like

Any rudder use in flight, in cruise, is done by the autopilot which is very limited. My example could be indeed a little bit to much thinking of it.

So the rudder is used for taxing and take off to stay on the centerline and in crosswind conditions for de-crabbing after landing. It is also used when you take off and get an engine failure but this won’t happen to you in IF :smile:

1 Like

Hi everybody,

The AA example indeed, is very extreme and as sad as it is, it is a 100% example of Reason’s swiss chess model, which I described in one of my tutorials how to use the PAPI.

I am currently working on a new tutorial especially on that topic, dealing with crosswind takeoff, approach and landing techniques, that can be easily used in IF.

It will be focussed on who to fly an aircraft in a crosswind situations in IF. So I will use just as much detail knowledge as necessary to get you up or down safely in IF (not for real flying!)

The tutorial will also contain all necessary information to enable you to reproduce the flight situation and thus be able to practice in the same situation.

I will use a specifically selected airport as a training area, that is extremely suitable for flying this particular pattern because it even contains a lot of visual references (landmarks, e.g. runways of small airports to use as a heading reference), so you can concentrate on flying.
By the way, the weather will give you a 25kts 90° crosswind with regard to the runway heading in an Airbus A340-600 (pretty long aircraft). Applying the crabbing method in this plane is spectacular :smile:

By the way, we use a 25kt. crosswind landing situation also for the selection SIM mission of our new pilots.

Unfortunately I am very busy these days, so it might take a little while.

…now for the gallery:

EDDL:

and from the work on this tutorial:

Finally one comment regarding the general use of the rudder in modern airliners in IF: As said before , takeoff , landing but never during cruise.

Happy Landings Folks,

Clipper747PA

3 Likes

Pretty good line up, but you will probably overfly the touchdown zone :wink:

I hope you remember that that was due to metal fatigue. The material used to make the rudder was fatigued so your sorry does not make any sense

3 Likes

I mean story

Interesting notes:

• Airbus and Boeing use different techniques for landing and take off in crosswind.
  • With a 25 knots crosswind at a 90 degrees angle your cockpit seat might not be over the runway but over the grass while your landing gear is on the runway centerline just before touchdown…

That’s true but you have to remember this was during takeof. The pilot exceeded the 90 degrees angle and forced the aeroplane to go for a nose dive

Folks,

with all due respect, …give me a break! …we are talking about a simulation on an iPad and steering the thing with an iPad!

Aernout is right though, but in IF it just worked fine like this.

With regard to Laurens comment: The PAPI indicates I am fine and I do not believe the white touchdown zone markings to be exact. But you are right, there is always room for improvement.

So to be honest, we either leave some space for lack of realism and not 100% accurate procedures in this simulation or this will become too much stress.

regards & happy landings

Clipper747PA

2 Likes

Don’t remember the whole story, what I remember is that the pilots where kicking the rudders quite a lot inflight…

Sorry I’m late to the thread, the AA incident is very extreme and partly and Airbus problem but we’re not going down that road. Most modern day pilots don’t understand the use of rudder and being I’m headed to dinner I’ll answer when I come back. Coordination to say the least is huge when talking Aerodynamics.

Best

Heavy Driver

2 Likes

@Clipper747PA. “Do good work”. Look forward to this one. I watch those Cross Wind go’s on UTube. Amazing, just a little rudder flic out of the crab. the skill depicted is a prime example of the “Right Stuff”. Regards, Mad Max Sends

Just had a look in the books to make it very clear :smile:

1 Like

What do the redacted portions of this Bus POH say? Just the fact, All the fact pls. Mad Max ask’s.😈😈😈😈

Really…?

1 Like