RTO in the event of incorrect clearance

Ok, lets say you are about to take off, you say the wrong runway without noticing it
The atc clear you for takeoff at that runway not noticing that you are at the other end

You are now speeding down the runway, just realized you are at the wrong runway, what do you do?

Please comment below
Best regards
Jens

2 Likes

Abort and exit. Don’t continue

7 Likes

Apply max brakes and reverse thrust. Seems like the most logical thing to do.

2 Likes

I would reject the takeoff because of the possible interference with other aircrafts and request clearance again after taxiing to the right end

1 Like

Reject the takeoff. Max reversers and brakes. That is also the only time I would ever use max reversers. It’s also the only time I would ever use both at the same time.

3 Likes

Yeah, this actually happened to me earlier today, on the expert server, I was departing from Auckland and I was over v1 before I realized I was cleared for the other side
At the same time there was runway change so that might be why both were confused

Exit immediately and proceed to the correct runway.

3 Likes

Would you do it over V1?

Over V1, I pretty much can’t do anything about that other than say “I’m sorry” after takeoff. If I were to hit the brakes I would probably overrun.

2 Likes

Just to clear it up,

You were for example at runway 18 but you say by accident you are ready for take off at runway 36 and the ATC clears you for take off runway 36 but you depart from runway 18?

In this case just continue as ATC should have noticed this.

8 Likes

I contacted the atc after this, no worries he said, a lot of confusion there

Any doubts at all, if I am under V1, I will abort the takeoff.

If I am above V1, I would just proceed with the takeoff and if I get ghosted, I would explain to the controller that the controller also cleared me for takeoff from the wrong end and that I was above V1, so there was nothing I could do

Logically, if you’re under your V1 speed you have to abort the takeoff using only your brakes and spoilers (not the thrust reverse, it can cause an impact). And if you’re above your V1, the only thing to do is to takeoff at VR.

During an aborted takeoff normally you don’t have to use a thrust reverse because in reality it can cause an engine failure, and an impact to the plane.

During an RTO you will ALWAYS use reverse thrust even if you have an engine failure and that is the reason why you have to do an RTO, even in this case on a 2 engine aircraft you pull both reversers.

Have a look at this:

3 Likes

it depends on where I am on takeoff if im at or passed V1 I would continue and tell the tower sorry but if I was before V1 I would abort with full stopping power ie full reversers, brakes, air brakes

Reverse is used only in extreme cases, when the sped is near to V1 (for exemple), so in the video that you sent, that was this case. In any other situation you DON’T use thrust reverse. I will put a link below

Max brakes and spoilers. This happened to me once where I mixed up right and left back in 2017. I was up to 50 knots on the runway when I aborted. I said I was sorry too.

To be honest it depends on the situation, I tried to keep it simple for IF.

the following text comes from an official Airbus Flight Crew Training Manual

FACTORS AFFECTING RTO

Experience has shown that a rejected take-off can be hazardous, even if correct procedures are followed. Some factors that can detract from a successful rejected take-off are as follows:

. Tire damage
. Brakes worn or not working correctly
. Error in gross weight determination
. Incorrect performance calculations
. Incorrect runway line-up technique
. Initial brake temperature
. Delay in initiating the stopping procedure
. Runway friction coefficient lower than expected

Surprised to see your clip so many rto’s without even idle reverse. Thanks for sharing!

Personally I would always select them, depending on the situation you can then use idle reverse or more but not to deploy them is something else and in the clip you provided some rejects are done at pretty high speeds it seems like.