Rocky_Black's ATC Tracking Thread - [CLOSED] @ N/A [FULLY PASSED]

New ATIS:

San Diego airport, ATIS information, Wind 270 at 8, gust 14, Visibility 3, Temperature 13, Dew Point 12, Altimeter 2996. Landing Runways 27, Departing Runways 27.
@slappy01 @NightHawk @Marina @PaulJ

2 Likes

I’ll swing by for a few!

1 Like

Swinging by in 10!

1 Like

Im stopping by now! May I recommend selecting an airport with parallel runways as that best simulates the testing/training environment.

Oh okay, I will do so next time!

ill be right there for some patterns :)

1 Like

@Alopez19 will you stop ruining my session please.

Like I said, next time you should open another airport. KSAN is quite a busy airport and tends to have other traffic besides people from your thread. This kind of stuff will happen.

1 Like

I want more aircraft so there is more pressure. I need more training with pressure.

Feedback for ExecJet 8PJ:

See here

Inbound

• Initially, Transision altitude of 3500 was higher than necessary, with KSAN at 17ft MSL, the transition altitude should be 3000. Airport elevation (rounded to the next 500) plus 1500’ for turbine aircraft, plus 1000’ for separation from other traffic in the pattern.

Pattern

• There was a but of a sequencing confusion, you initially told me to enter number left downwind and cleared me to land number 1, then you changed your mind and put TY-VYR in front of me, and then you asked me to extend downwind.

• The extend downwind command is unnecessary when you have sequenced properly. Once a pilot has been told who to follow, it is their responsibility to maintain spacing from the other traffic.

• Then you left me on downwind for way too long, I could have turned base right after TY-VYR. Not sure if you forgot that you had told me to extend downwind.

• Delta 467 was left on the runway for a bit longer than necessary, and that can be a danger if you forget them there. they weren’t cleared to takeoff until I was about 2nm final, which is enough to maintain separation, but can feel a bit close when at a busy airport.

• After that touch and go, you sequenced me number 2 behind traffic that was quite far out on left base, and I should have been cleared in front of them so I didn’t have to extend downwind all the way out behind them.

Ground

• Good Exit runway command, Just slightly late, its suggested to try to give that call at around 60- 80kts, and if it is missed, just send the frequency change command and give taxi instructions from there.

Notes

• Good speed with your radio calls, just make sure that you are reducing your workload as much as possible when doing traffic pattern!

• You’ll definitely get the hang of it with practice, and like @marina said, it’d be wise to choose an airport with parallel runways that is remote and not frequently populated. (KDVT is a good one, as is KPDX). The ATC manual has great resources for this, and I’d Advise going thru the Tower (pattern) and Ground sections again

1 Like

Here is the feedback from TY-VRY:

Ground Management:

Make sure that planes will not conflict with each other if they push back at the same time. @NightHawk and I were issued pushback at the same exact time despite us being right next to each other.

Good giveway command to @NightHawk after I exited the runway.

Departure:

(I’m sorry for my misreading of your commands)
This may come with experience, but I could have taken off before the inbound. Usually if someone is on a greater final than 4nm, an aircraft can depart. Do not use that as a general rule though

Make sure to give a direction when clearing an aircraft for takeoff that is remaining in your pattern, such as “TY-VRY runway 24 cleared for takeoff, make left traffic”

In the pattern:

Once in the air, all planes need to be sequenced before they are cleared.

Also, for aircraft remaining in the pattern, remember to issue option clearances instead of landing clearances. This allows aircraft to perform one of the following: touch and go, stop and go, low approach, or a full stop

If you sequence an aircraft, there is no need for an extend downwind as they will follow their sequence properly (this happened between @PaulJ and I)

If an aircraft announces full stop, there is no need to re-clear them for landing.

Transition altitudes should be around 2,500ft above the airport (rounded up). At KSAN, the airport is at around 18ft, so acceptable trans alts would be 2500ft or 3000ft.

When an aircraft is full-stopping, try to issue an exit command when they reach 80kts. The “expedite traffic on final” add on is very useful and should be used appropriately.

Your go around was a little late (I was crossing into the runway). When in doubt, call the GA.

Overall, I would review the ATC Manual, especially sections 2 and 3. I would also recommend getting a trainer to help you out with these issues in a more professional environment. Moreover, I understand that you want traffic at your airports, but when you are practicing for your ATC test on a tracking thread, it is best to have a controlled environment with pilots you trust. In order to create that, you should open a smaller airport with parallel runways. Let me know if you need some suggestions. It prevents random people from opening other frequencies like approach (I got on-guarded on final) and other pilots from not following your instructions. I would also suggest that you check out the video The Perfect ATC Test to see the best way all of these conflicts are done. Keep at it though. I’m sure you will get it in no time. Have a good day!

@Marina @PaulJ

Thanks for the feeback! (sorry for being late)

1 Like

Open!

New ATIS:

Queen Alia airport, ATIS information, Wind 290 at 3, Visibility 10, Temperature 05, Dew Point 01, Altimeter 1018. Landing Runways 26R & 26L, Departing Runways 26R & 26L.

@slappy01 @NightHawk @Marina @PaulJ

Hey

OJAI is closed. Have you opened another airport ?

I was about to close but I’ll still open!

1 Like

Which Airport ?

1 Like

Hey! Can you ping me the next time you open?

1 Like

Still OJAI

I’m still open if you can join but I’ll definitely ping you next time!

Thanks! I can’t see OJAI open.