Rock77's Comprehensive Plane Drawing Guide

Hello everyone,

As the title of this topic likely gives away, my goal in this post will be to give as detailed a look as possible at drawing realistic aircraft, for all those who are interested.

@BravoCharlie also made a great drawing tutorial on his style here. It’s quite concise, so if you want a great overview and are short on time, it might be the better resource! My style differs in multiple aspects, so if you’d like, utilize the information in both topics to decide which way works best for you, and create your own unique technique!

Now, drawing can be quite complex depending on the level of detail you’re looking to include in your finished product. I aim for as much realism as I can muster, so as a result this post is really long (sorry!), but I hope that doesn’t scare you off. Like I said, this will be comprehensive, but hopefully by the end of it you will find multiple tips and tricks that will help you when you begin your own drawing. The information in here is not dense - I do my best to explain things as simply and clearly as possible. There are just a lot of aspects to cover!

Everything is in sequential order, so you could even have this guide pulled up as you start drawing, and it should hopefully walk you through each step. It is also laid out with tips and sections blocked off and highlighted for ease of quick navigation and reference. So without further ado, I invite you to sit back, relax, and enjoy the read!

Table of Contents:

The Basics

-Supplies
 -Lines (Freehand)
 -Curves
 -Details

Now We Begin

-The Nose
 -The Rest of the Front
 -Livery Text
 -Passenger Windows
 -Wings and Engines
 -End of Fuselage and APU
 -The Tail
 -Landing Gear

Final Thoughts

-Old and New Photos, General Comments

Addendums:

-Addendum 1 (Boeing 777-300ER) --> Please jump to post #10

The Basics

NOTE: If you’re already a somewhat experienced drawer, I’d encourage you to read the section regarding freehand lines, but otherwise, feel free to skip to the next section!

Supplies:

• Eraser
  • Pencil
  • Photograph for reference

Notice that I put the eraser before the pencil. This is to emphasize that you must be willing to make mistakes, and when you do make them, you’ll need to erase. My style is completely freehand, which takes practice but can be quite fun. It can also cause you to erase large sections of a drawing if you really mess up and don’t realize it until later. If you’d prefer using a ruler the whole way through, I’d encourage you to still read this post, as not everything is strictly based on whether you use a ruler or not. BravoCharlie uses a ruler in his tutorial, so if you feel more comfortable going that route, check out his post!

Tip #1

Draw lightly, so that you can easily erase incorrect or messy marks without too much trouble. Once you’re happy with your line, then you can go back over and make it as dark as you’d like.

Lines (Freehand):

Lines are perhaps the most important part of drawing an object such as a plane. Lines make up almost all sections of the plane, from the fuselage to the tail and wings. Freehand lines can be incredibly hard, but don’t worry - there’s always a trick. Rulers are an easy way to go about this, but let’s say you don’t have a ruler or want to test your abilities.

Tip #2

Don’t make a single line without picking up your pencil. Instead, make short light marks on top of one another that slowly march down the page. Approach it as if you are doing a very rough sketch.

Look at the photo below. The top line was drawn without picking up my pencil, and without practice is what happens when you first try and draw a line. You can see that it jumps around and isn’t straight. Now the second line was my best freehand attempt. Even it still isn’t perfectly straight. The third line is what I’m talking about. It consists of short marks that overlap one another, creating a rough line up close, but step back and it looks decently straight. (I didn’t make it perfect here since I wanted to make sure the small marks were visible). Use the sides of the page as a reference to help keep the line straight. If you aren’t careful you can end up with a subtle curve (look closely at the right of the line). The bottom two lines are just for reference to see what the line looks like up close. These would be too messy/big for an actual drawing. Using a sketch technique also automatically creates a shadow effect, perfect for that 3-D effect that makes your drawing really stand out. Two birds with one stone!

Curves

Curves come into play at the nose and engines of a plane the most, and can be quite tricky. I’ll cover them in the nose and wing/engines sections in-depth, so I won’t get into it too much here. For the engines, the biggest thing to keep in mind is that they are not rectangles. Each engine has a slight curve to it, and most have a sharper curve at the front than at the back. When I first started out (I’ll post the photos at the end, don’t worry) my engines were very block-like, and it took away from the realism of the drawing. Make sure that you look closely at the engine in your reference picture to imitate the curve as accurately as possible. See the wing/engines section for more detail.

Details

I won’t cover details in too much depth now, and instead save the discussion for the individual plane sections. However, know going in that the size of your paper dictates how detailed you can be. For an A350 that fits on an 8.5x11" paper, anything smaller than a passenger window will be a small dot. The important thing to take away from this is that it is important to include dots, as they will add that extra level of detail that brings the plane to the next level. The bigger an object on the plane is, the better chance you have of really nailing an exact likeness, as there is more room to maneuver.

Now We Begin

I tend to pick photos where the plane’s nose is pointing to the left. Personal preference - it makes drawing the nose easier for me since I’m right-handed. My personal style is to go from left to right, starting at the nose, finishing everything and steadily marching across the page, finishing the drawing when I finish the tail. I’ll post photos for reference as I get into the nitty-gritty details so you can see what I’m talking about.

The Nose

I tend to start with the nose first because it is a good indicator of how my plane will turn out. Getting the nose right is very important in making the plane recognizable. Each plane is different, and it’s hard to have an easy step-by-step of the nose as a result.

Tip #3

When drawing the nose, draw the cockpit windows early on. These help you build the nose around them, as they are placed where the curves of the fuselage change.

In photo 1 below, you can see what I’m talking about. The curve of the nose meets the downward curve of the fuselage at the cockpit windows, so they serve as a good marker for getting sizing right. You can see that the 737 has a pretty pointy nose. That took me multiple attempts before getting a shape I was happy with. Be prepared to do a lot of do-overs and erasing before you get the right shape.

Photo 1

The Rest of the Front

I actually spend the most time of my drawing on the nose and front of the plane. That is because once you have the nose, cockpit, door and a few passenger windows drawn, you basically have the width of your fuselage set and ready to go, and enough reference lines for the rest of the drawing. This is where spatial awareness comes into play. You have to see if your plane will fit on the page with the fuselage size you just created. I’ve run into that problem before, where I just barely squeeze everything onto the page at the end. In fact, the Alaska 737 that I’m choosing to use as an example here isn’t fully on the page. The page ended with the tail, so I couldn’t finish the wing or APU. Whoops. It still turned out alright - plus, for the future I knew to plan better. One example of a mistake turned into lesson.

Photo 1
Refer again to photo 1 of my Alaska Boeing 737. You can see that line style I talked about in the basics section. I use the extra lines as a guide to see where I will place my doors, windows, and livery text. Drawing them lightly means you can erase them without leaving a trace of their existence. I usually extend these lines way past the area I’m currently working in, so they can serve as a future guide as I work my way down the plane fuselage.

Tip #4

Here are the references I use when drawing the front of a plane. A reference is a shape or recognizable part of the plane that I can find in the photograph and use as a landmark for the placement of other shapes.

• I use the top of the front-most port entry door as a reference for where the fuselage starts curving down to the cockpit windows. Notice that in photo 1, the fuselage is already level when it reaches the door. I actually realized that my 737 looked more like a Shinkansen Bullet Train than it did an aircraft, so I changed it in photo 2. (For reference, you can see where the old door ended from the eraser mark). In photo 2 notice that the foremost door is now right about where the fuselage ends/begins its curve toward the cockpit windows. Obviously each plane may be slightly different, but in general that’s usually a good marker.
  • Once you draw the cockpit windows and door, the passenger windows usually are in line with some part of the cockpit window, whether that’s the bottom of the cockpit or directly in the middle. I usually use my reference photo to see exactly where they line up. The passenger windows are usually lined up around the middle of the entry door as well as a secondary reference.

Photo 2

Per my style, I’ve already finished some shading in the nose area to try and ensure a 3-D look. Besides the fact that the nose of the plane is now pretty much done, early shading also helps me in visualizing the angle of the plane, which I need to get the right perspective as I draw further. Given than the plane isn’t exactly sideways to me (the viewer), I also had to offset the cockpit windows, as well as curve the lines of the door. Remember, a fuselage is somewhat circular when viewed from the front, so to achieve that effect you have to visualize the plane as a cylinder when viewed from a side angle like this. All this early work on details on the fuselage helps make sure the plane stays in the right perspective later down the line.

Photo 3

Photo 3 is another drawing, this time of a Thai A350. This is really just for another reference on how I approach the drawing of the front of a plane. Again, you can see that the door is lined up with the end of the fuselage curve, and the passenger windows are lined up with the cockpit and front entry door. The nose of the A350 is quite unique, and quite recognizable as a result. Again, multiple attempts will eventually lead to a proper nose shape.

Livery Text

Livery text placement is also usually done quite early in my technique, during this stage of design. Livery text is perhaps the hardest part of drawing a plane. Each airline uses a different font and style, and it can get quite complicated. I usually do my best attempt to replicate their style, but I know it will not be 100 percent perfect. That being said, my Alaska 737 came pretty close. Its large text size made it easier, as the bigger something is, the most chance you have to add the proper detail (see the details section in basics). Also see the DHL livery I drew below. The large letter size allowed me to have better control of my lines and imitation of the real font.

Photo 4

Passenger Windows

Windows can be painful, especially when you have a lot of them in a long-haul aircraft. It is easy to want to race through them, drawing small circles in a haphazard way, but this can seriously detract from a crisp piece of artwork. As seen in photos 1-3, use guide lines to ensure that the windows are in line with one another and a reference point, likely the cockpit windows or foremost entry door. When actually drawing them, aim for a shape in between a circle and rectangle. They are really more of an oval, but at this scale it is hard to get them spot on. I actually use passenger windows as the building blocks of my artwork. They are perfect for getting the scale of an aircraft down. Literally count the windows, and draw that exact number with the appropriate spacing in between, and you will find that your plane comes out to the exact right length every time. I also use them to approximate where my engines and wing start and end, as well as other details like the wifi hub and so on. If the wifi hub appears over window 25, and runs along the fuselage the length of three windows, then I know exactly where to place it on my aircraft. Same thing for my engines (see next section). As I said earlier, I extend my fuselage and guide lines further down from the spot I’m currently drawing in. Same goes for passenger windows, because like I said, they are important reference points for all other parts of the plane.

Wing and Engines

As I mentioned earlier, it is important to get the curves of the engines down to have an accurate representation of them. Refer again to photo 4. Notice that the engines on the 757 curve more on the bottom than on the top. Make sure to include details like this to ensure maximum realism. Also when shading your engines, be sure to make the bottom half darker than the top half, to mimic the effect of a curved surface. Again, use the passenger windows as a guide for how long your engine should be, where it starts and stops, etc. This is a huge help in getting your scale right. (Since I have a cargo airline drawing right above this, a quick tangent. I actually lightly draw some rough windows on a cargo variant to ensure proper scale, then erase them before finishing up. This is easier than eyeballing everything).

For the wing, it is again important to maintain straight lines. Actually, this is the one case where a slight upwards curve may be helpful, as it can imitate wingflex quite well, perfect if your reference photo is on takeoff or landing! Use the passenger windows as your guide! See how many windows exist before the wing hits one, then approximate how many are covered by the wing before they appear again behind it. All of this tells you how wide and long to draw your wing. I usually count the number of full windows, then the number of partially covered windows, then approximate the number of windows you cannot see.

Photo 5

Again using the Thai A350 as an example, notice that 3 windows are touching the wing. I also use the doors as a way to break up the numbers, preventing you from committing an error when counting 50 some-odd windows. So, start from 1 at the first door, then 1 again after the next door, and so on.

Shading is most important on the wing. Given that the underside of the wing is almost always visible in photos, you want to make sure that it is shaded darkly to mimic shadows in the photos. In photo 5 you can see I already started some shading, getting darker as I get towards the belly of the fuselage.

Photo 6

Returning to the 737 for a moment, this photo shows the shading of both the wing and flaps. Be mindful of gaps in the shadow caused by the flaps, as you can see with the white line and small marks between the second and third flap track fairings. Also, the leading edge of the wing is usually still in sunlight, so make sure to take that into account when drawing your wing. You can see this in photo 6.

Tip #5

Always draw the engine before the wing when following my style. This follows the build the aircraft left-to-right technique, and helps make sure the engine and wing are proportionate to each other and the plane itself. It also helps ensure your wing is in the right place along the aircraft fuselage.

End of Fuselage and APU

We’re getting towards the end of the drawing process. I hope you’ve been following along all right and I haven’t lost too many of you. Almost there! But keep in mind, the 15 minutes of reading you just did equated to 5+ hours of drawing if you are really taking your time. No one said drawing is a lightning quick activity! And it also doesn’t need to be completed in one sitting. See the final thoughts section at the end for more.

Again, using windows for reference, figure out where your aft exit door will sit. Usually, the bottom of the fuselage starts to curve up when you hit the last few aft passenger windows. The aft exit door is another good reference for when the top of the fuselage begins its subtle curve down along the tail. Practice will make perfect, but use the windows and doors to guide you in seeing how and when the fuselage should curve.

I usually approximate the distance from the windows to the aft exit door to see where I should place the horizontal stabilizers. The distance from the aft exit door to the passenger windows should be shorter than the distance from the door to the stabilizer. Photo 7 demonstrates this quite well.

Photo 7

The horizontal stabilizer usually covers the APU in some way, shape or form. It is helpful to use both to approximate how long the fuselage should extend, and how large your horizontal stabilizers should be. Now that you have lost your windows as a reference, it gets harder to scale everything right. I can only say this takes practice. The tail also helps some, but once you do a couple of planes you’ll get a better feel for how long a fuselage should extends past the final aft exit door.

The Tail

The tail of an airliner should be one of the most fun parts of the drawing process, as you finally get to have fun with whatever airline you chose. Most tail designs range from simple to incredibly complex. You pick, but it’s probably a good idea to start basic and increase in complexity as you get more experienced. Tail designs do vary by aircraft, so it will take a bit of getting used to when trying to get the size and shape down. Use the height of the fuselage in relation to the height of the tail when approximating its size. What I’ve approximated before is the tails are anywhere from roughly 1.25 to 2 times the height of the fuselage. I’ve included one of my earlier drawings below, and I am still quite happy with the United tail.

Photo 8
IMG_1205

Landing Gear

In my initial post I forgot to mention landing gear, probably because it is an optional feature that I do not always do - in fact, the Alaska 737 was my first time including gear in a drawing.
It can be especially hard to draw landing gear as the wheels are hard to size correctly. The most important thing to keep in mind is that when you are drawing at an angle, the gear are not longer perfect circles, but rather an oval shape. Also, be sure to look at your reference photo to see how the main landing gear wheels compare in size to the nose landing gear. They are almost never the same size.

Tip #6

When drawing landing gear at an angle, add an extra bit to the front left of the visible gear wheels to account for the other tires found on the opposite side of the gear truck.

Getting the landing gear doors right can also sometimes be tricky. They are usually pretty thin, but again, the windows will help provide a reference for how long the doors should be. I also use the engines as a height reference, asking myself whether the landing gear ends above, below, or in line with the engine.

Final Thoughts

One of the biggest things to keep in mind when trying to draw something this detailed/complex is mindset. As soon as I feel that drawing is becoming a chore, boring, or a struggle, I stop work and take a break. Rome wasn’t built in a day, and neither will your drawing (unless you’re @BravoCharlie , but he’s got some serious talent in turning around drawings in record time). Be willing to take breaks and come back to the drawing again the next day or maybe even the next week. If I’m having a good day, I will get into the “zone” and an afternoon will fly by. It’s why I like drawing so much, because you enter a meditative mindset - it can be a great de-stressor.

Above all, remember that drawing should be fun! It will take time, practice, and patience to get to a level of details like you see above. To prove my point, here are two finished drawings I did two years ago:

You can see I had barely mastered shading or scale, and my windows, doors and lines were way off. My engines have that block-like quality to them that I mentioned earlier as well. Two years later, I’m now creating drawings such as the finished Thai A350 and Alaska 737 that were used in this guide:

Another important thing to keep in mind: artwork is a constantly evolving process. You’re always learning. You’ll have good days and bad days, but don’t get discouraged. In addition, don’t think that you can never get to a level of realism like you see in the Suggest any Aircraft thread. You should see my drawings from middle school (I wish I had photos - those were nowhere close to the level of detail I had now). Treat every error as a learning experience, and take that knowledge with you for your next attempt. If you really want to set an ambitious goal, get to the level of @Brandon_Millburg.

If this helped, go show off your work in the (Remade) Suggest Any Aircraft thread! Or take a photo suggestion from there as your inspiration! I don’t have as much time for drawing anymore since I’m so busy, but I hope the above knowledge and your own unique perspectives and skills on the subject will develop into drawings that will take the community by storm. Good luck, and most importantly, have fun!

31 Likes

Thanks for this thread! These are very helpful tips!😃😀😄👍🏻
And great drawings!

1 Like

Very impressive drawings!

1 Like

Thank you! Glad you found them helpful!

Very nice! I can tell how our drawings are different. If people would like a more simple style of drawing, they should check this out! And because I have a very detailed style of drawing planes, people that like detailed should check mine out! All in all, a great guide for the beginners’ first steps :) Keep it up!

However, I’ve noticed that you don’t fill up the cockpits. Why?

2 Likes

This is awesome! I’ll be sure to use this when I draw my planes!

1 Like

I’d say that we’re pretty close in terms of “detail on plane” - the above drawings can definitely still be detailed fully as mentioned in the details section (best examples of this being the two used as full examples, and my Icelandair Aurora livery found here. You definitely have crisper lines and shading from your ruler though, which I think help your details stand out better :) It’s a stylistic thing more or less. But yes my goal was definitely a beginner’s guide, and as I further develop my skills and tricks I’ll be sure to update the post.

To your question on cockpit windows, I have absolutely no good reason haha. It became a style thing, but I can see how it might detract from the design. I’ll have to consider that moving forward.

2 Likes

Wow u r rlly good keep up the good work

1 Like

I’m glad that people are enjoying the post and finding it informative! The summer is a great time to give drawing a try for the first time, especially if you’re bored. I should have put this in the original post, but let me know if any of you have questions or if something is unclear (Comments on this topic are better than PMs, in case other people have a similar question).

In addition, each time I do a new drawing (it won’t be too often, but occassionally I will) I’ll likely add an addendum section where I’ll write any additional tips specific to that piece. I can also do an additional in-depth detail section on any specific aspect of the plane if necessary. Let me know and happy drawing :)

1 Like

Addendum 1

Drawing the Boeing 777-300ER

As I mentioned in the original post, I will occasionally update this thread with remarks specific to the aircraft I draw. This will be the first of these “addendums,” so if you have any feedback on what you would prefer to have me write in these, let me know!

For starters, the Boeing 777 is an iconic plane to draw, and you won’t have any shortage of options to choose from when deciding on what livery you would like to include. Virgin Australia was mentioned to me in the “Suggest Any Aircraft” thread, and while I don’t usually take requests, I decided to draw it since I hadn’t attempted a livery from the Virgin group before. The livery definitely proved to be a fun one, and I would personally say the tail turned out better than the livery text.

Photo 1

In this addendum, I’ll talk about two things specific to the forward section of this 77W aircraft, then remark on a few techniques I used on this drawing that can be applied to future drawings.

The Nose (777)

In the photo I chose to use as reference, the aircraft was at such an angle that there was almost no change in the nose curve around the cockpit windows, which as you may remember is a good location to use as reference when drawing the nose (see Tip #4). This makes it harder and easier. When you encounter an angle such as this, still look to the cockpit windows, but make sure to deemphasize any curve in that location. In addition, make sure that the curve from the top of the fuselage down to the cockpit window starts in the correct location - it may be in front of the first entry door (again, see Tip #4). Above all, make sure that you take into account the change in perspective - everything will end a little sooner than you’d expect due to the angle you are observing the aircraft.

Engines (777)

The engines on a 777 are monsters, so be sure to take this into account when drawing them. They will initially look too big (see the photo above) but once the entire plane is drawn, everything will look correct scale-wise. In addition, at the angle I chose the passenger windows are covered by the wing for a lot longer. As you may recall, I use the passenger windows as a good reference when determining scale (see Passenger Windows above). Since this isn’t my first drawing, I was able to go off of intuition to determine sizing, but if you are just starting out, I recommend lightly sketching windows to help maintain scale.

Using fingers to “guesstimate” length is also a good plan. For example, use two fingers to measure the length of the engine on your reference photo, then compare the length to another part of the plane on the photo that you have already sketched (perhaps the first-class windows). Then go to your drawing, and, scaling up, do the same. This will give you a roughly accurate length that you can modify as appropriate (obviously this would be easier and more precise if you used a ruler, but as you remember I am a proponent of “free-hand” sketching!).

Shading

I played around with shading more on this drawing, as the angle allowed for more underbelly shading, especially around the main landing gear. As you may notice, the shading is actually lighter directly underneath center fuselage. This accounts for the subtle reflection that may occur from light behind the aircraft, and gives a great reflection effect from the ground underneath the 777. This is just one example of how important shading is to upgrading your drawing from “good” to “great”. In addition, most aircraft have a bulge before and after the wing. In previous drawings I usually drew a hard curve and left it at that. For the 777, I lightly erased that curve and made a much more gentle progression. I feel like that made things look much better, so when approaching your own drawing, I encourage you to do the same. Finally, and this is the most important comment when approaching shading, follow the photo as closely as possible. Keep a close eye out for subtle variances and replicate those as best as possible. These will help your drawing reach new heights in terms of complexity.

Small Details

As you can see in the above photo, many planes have multiple sensors and other pieces of equipment around the nose and forward fuselage area. I’ve said it before, but make sure to include these, even if they are just small dots! It makes a huge difference. On the Virgin Australia livery specifically, the decal on the nose proves to be difficult at the regular scale of an 8 1/2 x 11" paper. My personal trick is, instead of attempting to draw the shape and then trying to shade in the details, reverse the way your eyes look at the photo. Instead of focusing on areas of white, focus on areas of dark and sketch those instead. It is how I made the Alaska tail in the original post so detailed. It takes practice, and it’s also hard to describe, so let me know if you need more information.

That ends the addendum. Again, let me know if you have questions or want more info! If you’re curious to see how the final product turned out (and I hope you are!) check it out in the “Remade, Suggest Any Aircraft” thread here! Happy drawing!

Considering that airline is from my home country and I see that livery every day. im really impressed, I see a lot of attention to detail. I hope ill be able to draw like that eventually. @Rock77

1 Like

@Charles_L Thanks! Hope the guide helps you - your first drawings are already quite good!