Robinson R22

(Picture is mine)

Robinson R22

The R22 is a light, two-place, single reciprocating-engined helicopter with a semi-rigid two-bladed main rotor and a two-bladed tail rotor. The main rotor has a teetering hinge and two coning hinges. The tail rotor has only a teetering hinge.

Instead of floor-mounted cyclic sticks between the pilot’s knees, the R22 uses a unique teetering “T-Bar” control connected to a stick that emerges from the console between the seats. This makes it easier for people to get in and out of the ship. The Collective sits on the left side of the pilot and the anti torque pedals are on the floor like traditional rudder pedals. The helicopter rotor system consists of a two-bladed main rotor and two-bladed anti-torque rotor on the tail, each equipped with a teetering hinge. The main rotor is also equipped with two coning hinges. Collective and cyclic pitch inputs to the main rotor are transmitted through pushrods and a conventional swashplate mechanism. Control inputs to the pre-coned tail rotor are transmitted through a single pushrod inside the aluminum tail cone.models are also equipped with an electronic governor which works to maintain RPM within normal operating limits (between 97% and 104% RPM); the governor is active only when the engine is running above 80% RPM, and is most effective in normal flight conditions. The governor can be switched on or off with a toggle switch located at the end of the pilot’s collective pitch control. When the governor is not engaged, a yellow caution light glows on the instrument panel.

The R22 uses a horizontally mounted Lycoming O-320 (O-360-J2A on the Beta II), flat-four, air-cooled, normally aspirated, carburetor-equipped reciprocating engine

Different Models of the R22

R22
Initial production version

Engine And Performance information:
O-320-A2B/A2C 150BHP @ 2700 RPM
Max continuous rating: 124 BHP @ 2652 RPM

R22 HP
Higher-powered version

Engine and Performance information
O-320-B2C 160BHP @ 2700 RPM

R22 Alpha
Improved version certified in 1983

R22 Beta
Fitted with a more powerful engine
5 minute take off max continuous rating: 134 BHP @ 2652RPM

R22 Beta II
Fitted with a more powerful engine

O-360-J2A 145 (Derated) BHP @ 2700RPM

R22 Beta II Police
Police patrol version, equipped with searchlight and loudspeaker.

R22 Mariner II
Designed for off-shore work, fitted with floats and Lycoming O-360-J2A piston engine. Limited to daylight operations when fitted with floats.

My Thoughts
As a helicopter pilot I already agree, we need rotors. The R22 is a great aircraft for first time pilots. The R22 is a primary training, this would be a great start to a small helicopter and as the future continues we can advance to much larger ships. As they say, if you can fly an R22 you can fly anything!
If we get the suport for this ship, I’d love to give you the knowledge of the R22 that I know of (of course that’s for the devs).

Technical information:

For Engine information:

Would love to see this but I am not going to vote until IF gives us any confirmation on helicopters. So I’m kinda just bumping it lol

2 Likes

At this point, IF developers have been in a very important and stressful part of this game since it’s release. (A350, XCub, and other things talked about on the developer stream). They have been working their butts off since 2012, much less the effort it took to get this game on the app store. Due to the amount of physics reworks needed for this to happen, I, (realistically), don’t see this this happening until all aircraft in the game that need a physics rework, (757/67, C-17, F/A-18, A380, A340), are reworked. Good request though.

2 Likes

Yeah. It’s kind of sucks but they work as hard as they can so

Is the person who made this post no longer in the IFC?

1 Like

Pay attention, Anon is no longer on the forum!

6 Likes

It would be cool to see this, but the reality of IF making helicopters in the see able future, is close to impossible. You need helipads, and also since your restricted to such low altitudes the scenery quality is too low for a physical view.

Whoops didn’t notice that! Thanks for pointing that out. Fail 🤣

1 Like

It’s not impossible.
No you don’t, I currently don’t use one at our base. The ones were using is both rotor and fixed wing parking.

Helicopters are restricted to heights like the XCub, so the scenic flying is going be like flying the XCub

1 Like

Hello,
In order for Infinite Flight to incorporate Helicopters into the game, different physics will need to be implied, which is not the Developers’ aim. At the moment, Infinite flight is focusing on Aircraft, due to the vast majority of the aircraft in the game. Hopefully, in the future, we will be able to see Rotors! My advice is to wait for confirmation about a specific feature before requesting it.
Thanks!

Which physics are different?

Helicopters are aircraft… So since this is a flight sim involving aircraft helicopters fit perfectly with in the aircraft category

That’s like saying “Don’t request a livery request” if this individual wants to request helicopters they may. Don’t need to wait for any confirmation about rotors…

1 Like

I understand that you are a helicopter guy, but let me take you through some important aspects that we need to understand…

1. As stated above, the developers are in a position where they are very pressed by the Community to add in aircraft such as A350, Xcub, ATR, etc. So adding helicopters on the list would make their lives more stressful, knowing that they have so much to work on.
  2. The physics are different. And they are very obvious differences that I find surprising you don’t understand. Airplanes take off in a forward motion, and need a long piece of runway in order to takeoff. Helicopters, use upwards physics, by generating lift from their rotors, and are able to take off from the spot. (Yes, I am aware that some helicopters need a runway, but we are talking about the majority.) Adding different physics can add a workload, again, to the developers, which is our opposite intention.
  3. By aircraft, I meant Helicopters, and airplanes as a whole, But I was focusing on airplanes as the forum mainly talks about airplanes, with less people wanting helicopters at this point.
  4. Adding helicopters can affect the ATC, as well. this is because the ATC would have to take care and control a specific area only for helicopters, making air traffic controlling a bit more stressful.
    I hope this clears up a bit of things, and if you want to discuss it, remember that my inbox is always open :)
    Have a good day,

Sure making aircraft is their job. So since they are hired build aircraft rotor wing is t stressful to build I bet

Physics remain the same, whenI take off In my helicopter I get into forward since there’s aerodynamic things. Physics are the exact same as the airplane, aerodynamics isn’t thought there’s some difference.
So sure adding different aerodynamic could cause “stress” but like you tried to argue about building an aircraft it’s the developers job to make sure the aerodynamic work. Let’s not forget Laura has said she tried this before and it works well with in game.

I’m ganna disagree yet once again, I use the exact same calls as a fixed wing aircraft only different ones, when landing at a pad and being told land or take off at own risk. So sure it could be stressful but that’s like an XCub at LAX. Adding it is going cause a ton of stress for those guys.

Interesting theories you posted glad I could clear a bunch of it up

1 Like

Not really, an Xcub is an airplane, and airplanes land on runways, helicopters’ don’t.
I doubt that an Xcub can land on a helipad, though. I can’t argue with you about physics, though. Physics are totally different stories between an airplane and a helicopter.
Aerodynamics, have huge and important roles in flying, but what you said is totally incorrect, as airplanes have wings, but helicopters don’t, so I don’t really get what you’re trying to say. Here is a comparison between the Aerodynamics of an airplane, and a helicopter. As you can see, they aren’t very similar…
Image result for lift generating in airplane

But let’s end it here, as we’re filling up the thread.

Do I have some exciting news for you lol I land on runways all the time.

While you are correct by not having “wings” our rotors create lift (Whoch is a piece of aerodynamics)

You’re using two different items, the very first picture is how a rotor blade creates lift also. The aerodynamics is the same, Air goes over the blade high and low pressure is created, as you increase the angel of attack of a blade lift is created. Just line a wing as you increase angel of attack lift is created.

Now you’re second picture of induce flow is how a helicopter actually flies, as the air goes through the rotor system it pushes down into induces flow this is the feeling you have when you’re below a helicopter. Kinda like A prop airplane pulling through the air.

2 Likes

Could not agree more. Hell I’ve seen more helicopters land on trailers more then then helipads in my lifetime.

1 Like

As promised I went with my dad on a helicopter capture this morning. Here are some photos. The tan helicopter is the 44 and white is the 22

3 Likes

I know a guy who owns an R22 and does long lining ops with it. Probably my favorite R22 on the face of the Earth

1 Like

My favorite R22 gotta be that one that’s not controlled by anybody. Forgot what it’s called though.

Oh the UAV one being used for Heavy lift ops lol

1 Like