Right of way and traffic avoidance

If there is a conflict on the ground (ie. two planes taxiing to the same intersection), who has the right of way? Does anything change if one of the aircraft is attempting to clear a runway?
If two planes get below minimum separation and there is a risk of collision, what is the procedure in IF for avoiding traffic?
Who has right of way if two planes are attempting to land on intersection runways?

1 Like

Well the rule usually is never take ocupated taxiway…

Aircraft exiting runway always has right of way.

If there is ATC he should make sure this wont happen…If not you are responsable…

I think that the thing between pilots…I guess the one that is closer to landing.

1 Like

For the minimum separation I meant like is there a thing in the community where lower aircraft descends and higher aircraft climbs? (To simulate TCAS)
I actually did that in a flight once XD

BTW I’m asking because today I had an incident on the ground at CYUL, where I accidentally cut off a plane exiting the runway (he was out of my fov until it was too late to stop though).

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/91.113 (in-flight)

https://flightcrewguide.com/wiki/rules-regulations/right-way-flight-ground/ (Both)

1 Like

On the Expert Server, IFATC have access to ‘Progressive Taxi Instructions’ which allows the controller to send the aircraft instructions to ‘Turn Left Next Taxiway’, ‘Turn Right Next Taxiway’ etc.

Due to this, we are always encouraged to split frequencies at larger more populated fields, and this also allows the ground controller to use progressive taxi instructions to maintain the flow of traffic to and from the runway.

Please note though that progressive taxi instructions should only be used when required and not be used for every aircraft taxing to and from the runway.

1 Like

Yes I know that exists. iirc that’s available on training too. I was more asking about what happens if a controller fails to notice a conflict, like the one I had this morning.

That’s you’re own responsibility. If no ATC is available (and even if it is) respect always improves everyone’s experience.

Also a 360, other Delay Vector or holding short of a taxiway to give way (even if you might be „with the right“ always helps and improved everyone’s experience.

Using the map for TCAS and adapting to the situation, not sticking to ones FPL or plan but rather giving way and deescalating when conflicts occur helps everyone.

Conclusion: Check your surroundings and never hesitate to give way and let the other one go first to improve your own and everyone else’s experience.

These links are pure gold. A must read for everyone.

1 Like

I’d say that’s your choice. Always be aware of surroundings and caution other aircraft at UNICOM airports. If it is active, ATC got it covered.

at least on expert server ;)

1 Like

Additional question, a bit IF specific:
if ground clears an A/C for pushback and at the same time another aircraft is taxiing towards the same point, who has right of way

Ground won’t clear.

To be more specific, IFATC ground won’t clear. The pilot will receive “hold position” until the second aircraft is clear of the area, at which point the first aircraft will be allowed to pushback.

For training server Ground, it depends. Some will recognize the conflict, others won’t. It varies from controller to controller.

Edit: just read about your situation during the KTPA Flyout. See @IF515’s post below for the proper right-of-way in your scenario.

1 Like

The right of way defaults to the aircraft on the current taxiway. So if you’re pushing back with aircraft taxing behind you, they have right of way.

If you’re pushing back at the same time, just be the bigger person and give the other aircraft right of way. You’re only losing maybe 1-2 minutes of time, so what.

If an aircraft is exiting the runway, they always have right of way. If an aircraft is taxing along a taxiway closest to a runway, they have right of way.

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah the only weird part was I was literally taxiing at 30 knots and didn’t actually realize he was pushing back until it was too late. So I was actually not super close to him when he started pushing.

Yeah ground was inexperienced or something. I had to stop mid pushback to avoid a collision.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.