Richmond International Airport Spotting (KRIC)

Richmond International Airport Spotting

----------

Greetings, and today I went spotting at my home airport, Richmond International (KRIC).
I got to catch a variety of landings and takeoffs from 16/34. I started spotting landings on 34, but then the winds drastically changed halfway through the spotting session. In return, I also got to view takeoffs from Runway 16.

All photos were taken on my Google Pixel 2 with a 25x zoom lense.
All photos were edited in Adobe Lightroom.

Let’s begin with the first aircraft of this spotting session, a United Express (CommutAir) ERJ-145XR from Newark (KEWR) in the new livery.

Next up, we have an Allegiant A320-200 from Sarasota, Florida (KSRQ).

Up next, we have a jetBlue E190 from Boston (KBOS).

Shortly after the jetBlue E190 landed, an American Eagle (PSA Airlines) CRJ-900LR landed in Richmond from Charlotte (KCLT).

After about thirty minutes of waiting, a Delta 737-900 appeared over the trees from Atlanta (KATL).

After a quick turn around of the runway, I was able to spot this American Eagle ERJ-145 of to Philly (KPHL).

After a quick turn-around of the Delta 737-900 from earlier, it took the skies again back off to Atlanta (KATL).

And that’s it! Thank you for viewing my pictures I’ve taken.

Please rate your favorite one below:

0 voters

20 Likes

Great photos here, love the sky color on the first few.

1 Like

Do you remember the registration on the Allegiant A320

1 Like

Nice CRJ900A catch

1 Like

The registration was N225NV for the Allegiant A320.

I chose #6 as my favorite picture as I have one exactly like it, taken only a hundred or so miles away from your shot!

Sorry it’s so grainy lol

2 Likes

Awesome! I’ve worked that airplane before!

2 Likes

I know some do, most don’t, but if you can I’d open up the aperture on the zoom lense a bit, you probably can’t, but the one my friend has is adjustable so maybe…

1 Like

Great spots Nick!

But Norfolk is still better ;)

1 Like

Nice shots! I saw the first one on your IG. A bit of flanching, but they’re good besides that!

1 Like

Sadly, my zoom lense doesn’t have an aperture lense… I wish it did…

1 Like

Eh, that’s what I figured. It’s probably a pretty big F stop, so lots of light, very shallow depth of feild. Good shots though, especially for a phone with a zoom lens…

1 Like

Are you using some sort of lens blur in a circle? It looks like the edges are all blurred in the pics which kinda annoy me but those are some sweet pics other then that.

Must say for a phone with that kind of zoom that’s pretty incredible quality

2 Likes

KRIC photos = Best photos

1 Like

Yeah, I believe it has to do with the zoom lense I use. The blur is not edited, it’s just from the zoom lense. I haven’t been able to figure out why it does that yet…

2 Likes

Great photos mate!
Keep it up! 😍💯

1 Like

It’s probably because planes are big, and the lense probably has a big aperture, which means a shallow death of field, so depending on the angle some part of the plane being out of focus is most likely inevitable, I usually use F9+ when spotting and still get noticeable soft ness on the front and tail of something big like a 330, but that lense probably has a fixed aperture, if I had to make a suggestion to @Niccckk here it would be to try to go for shots of the side of the plane because that will have the shallowest amount of the plane in the shot. (More or less the wing to the fuselage is almost certainly shorter than the fuselage, and the wing tip being out of focus is much less noticeable) but I must say that is a pretty sharp lense, I know the pixel takes good photos, but that lense seems like it’s preserving a lot of the sharpness, and the colors are on point…

EDIT: actually the more that I look at this it may not be death of field, especially with that AA ERJ, but I don’t have a better guess 😂

2 Likes

Ya, I’m becoming more, and more skeptical that it’s depth of feild, may still be, but some of the blurry points, and the way they match up, I duno. I wouldn’t be so confident in my previous statement for better or worse… 😂

2 Likes

I’ve been playing around with the lense a bit more, and it is surely the depth of field. Once I step back from the object enough, it all goes in focus, but when I get too close, there is some blur around the background of the image, however, it retains the sharpness in the foreground. I think I’ll consider stepping back a few yards next time I spot again to make sure the entire aircraft is in focus.

1 Like

Oh, then it is, I was wrong about being wrong for better or worse… 😂

1 Like