Retracting Gear

Sometimes when I am around the airport, planes leave their gear out till about 6 miles away from the airport. I usually see this about one to two times a month. Why is this?

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

5 Likes

They climb normally as any other plane.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

If you fail at take off what I sometimes do I know I migh crash 3 seconds after takeoff I keep the gear down so if I lost attitude fast or just stall I can land instead of just crashing

It’s usually due to conditions and climb/speed rates. I believe it’s apart of the procedure. To maintain a positive rate and than retract the gear. If there swurving all over the place that’s not a good rate.

That’s my guess anyway.

This is normal procedure if the brakes have been heavily used during taxi, especially on heavies. The airflow cools the brakes.

6 Likes

People forget…

Pilots have a checklist they dont forget, plus they have a co-pilot and the systems would say. There has to be a reason, how much is the diff between Nautical Miles to Miles? 6Miles =?? NM

1 Like

I read somewhere that pilots do this when they brake hard while taxiing. It’s to cool down the gear before retracting them. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

4 Likes

Maybe the copilot was reading the checklist and the pilot was sneezing and the copilot continued climbing 😂

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.