Retracted Flap Setting

I’m a student right now, researching the characteristics of airplanes. The question "Under what runway conditions may airplanes utilise the retracted flap setting?" was recently posed by my lecturer. He also makes a suggestion that the runway’s length and the surrounding obstruction are relevant.

2 Likes

I suppose if the runway is long enough and/or the plane is light enough, you could takeoff without flaps. There are actually a few commercial airliners that are certified for retracted-flap takeoffs, such as the A300 and Fokker 70/100. Apart from those, apparently older-generation 737s were able to use notches 1 and 2 for takeoff, 1 being slats only, so maybe that counts as a no flap takeoff

Also, welcome to the community!

2 Likes

Welcome to the community!

Runway dry and long; light wind; low enough density altitude - that is, elevation in combination with temperature is not too high.

All have to be considered together, and in relation to the recommendations for the specific aircraft.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your answer. This really helps me a lot <3

2 Likes

I really appreciate your reply. This is very beneficial to me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.