Requesting your departure…again

Following my latest openings, it might be a good time for a republish…

Have fun!

11 Likes

Thank you! And for the people who didn’t bother clicking on the post…

Not sure if this happens in Expert Server, but this is typical in Training Server:

1. Remaining in the pattern: don’t say this if you have a flight plan to or flying visually to another airport

Also

Requesting frequency change before departure: if ground says “taxi to runway, contact tower when ready” that was the approval to change to tower’s frequency, no need to request :)

7 Likes

In my experience, there have been several times where a player has requested departure remaining in the pattern, but usually never go into the pattern.
I always just refer them to the User Guide and send them off my frequency.

5 Likes

THIS oh my god it boils my blood… I need to focus on others. Some do the same with exit runways “exit runway and cross runway XX” for some reason later on, they just decide to request crossing again 😭

6 Likes

BRO each one of you guys touch on a point that be leaving me like “bruhh really” lol glad you made this a post

5 Likes

I think the one that bothers me is requesting a frequency change BUT staying on the frequency.

6 Likes

The person at ORD after assigned drag taxi to not hold short of a runway but still asks to cross it 😤😤😤

Ha no…This one is OK since a non-holding instruction is not considered a crossing clearance…

So you have to give a cross runway instruction in those cases even if dragged without hold…

5 Likes

What about Takes Off in Sequence ? What does that mean ?

Well…this one is tricky.

You can use this request when you are not the next plane to T/O but often, some controllers will reply with a please request only when 1st in line.

So it depends a bit on who’s controlling.

1 Like

Welcome to Expert Server™. I encounter these two issues controlling on ES, especially at KLAX and EGLL. Usually, it’s newer Grade 3 pilots.

Finally, taxi to runway 27R does not mean taxi on to runway 27R, line up and contact tower when ready. Taxi to the runway hold short line and contact tower when ready. Mind boggling how often I see this on Expert Server.

3 Likes

Maybe a bit off-topic but I’ve also seen many pilots check-in after switching from FIR to approach. As i remember we don’t have to do this, right?

At least it really annoys me to hear all these when I fly a long path under an approach controller i. e. during FNF. Difficult to imagine how bad ATCOs feel after a long session 🤕

Ha for this I’ve also posted How to request your inbound to help

But yeah normally when switched from center to approach the message should be an approach request

2 Likes

Well if you think about it, the instructions literally says taxi to runway xx which can be understood as that where irl controller doesn’t say taxi to runway xx , they say runway xx taxi via xx,

New drag and drop taxi instructions works like that. It now says runway xx, taxi via (where available)

Hi @J3TT_Neil,

You raise a valid point and I understand your point of view. I see where the language is ambiguous and may result in a misunderstanding by new pilots.

However, I’d like to think all pilots on Expert Server should understand you never cross a runway hold short line, not to mention enter an active runway, without explicit permission.

I looked over some IF user documentation; it’s my belief this could be better documented. That said, the violations section of the user guide states:

“…you must ensure that you have clearance to taxi or cross/enter runways (if ATC is active)…”

Thankfully, I’m often lenient on unauthorized runway entries if no loss of separation or imminent safety issue impacting another pilot exists. I will usually (not always) issue a, “you were not cleared to enter the runway, please exit the runway” command for a new grade 3. When possible, I prefer to provide a learning opportunity instead of a violation.

One exception - if an airport is extremely busy and issuing a warning to exit the runway will degrade service to other pilots, I will generally issue the violation.

With respect to taxi instructions:

Detailed taxi instructions are a work in progress (WIP) which is functional at a limited number of airports. Taxi instructions read “Flight 123, Runway xx, taxi via xx xx xx, Contact tower when ready.” Pilots are provided with a taxi route map.

The new taxi route instructions are a significant improvement. It’s a WIP and still has a ways to go, but it’s a big step forward.

Takeoff in sequence is your takeoff order, you’re basically telling ATC you’re ready for departure when it’s your turn. Once you request departure in sequence, do not request again.

If you’re not first in-line for departure, the controller may respond with a hold short or a, “You’re # X for departure.” If X=3, you’re 3rd in sequence, or in line, for departure.

If you’re first in line, controller will either issue you a takeoff clearance, a line-up and wait (LUAW), or a hold short. Usually a hold short is issued to allow an inbound aircraft to land first.

Unrelated, but worth mentioning - sometimes a controller may need to delay a departure to avoid a conflict or other operational reasons, the controller may accomplish this with a hold short or a LUAW. I usually issue a LUAW and then issue a takeoff clearance once the conflict or operational reason has cleared.

Hope this clarifies departure in sequence for you.

Just to make this clearer…

Line Up and Wait usually means there is an aircraft moving ahead of you on the runway. You can enter the runway behind them, but you can’t take off until they are out of the way.

Hold Short usually means there is an aircraft landing or taking off behind you on the same runway, and they will crash into you if you enter the runway, so you need to keep totally clear of the runway until they have passed.

Can’t take off before you are clear to T/O by the ATC sir. A LUAW is not a clearance to T/O.

Example: On parallels r/w you can have a r/w crossing behind the plane taking off and before the LUAW is cleared.

Oh of course you have to wait for further clearance. I am talking laws of physics. If ATC tells you to line up and wait, it means that taking off risks crashing into an aircraft ahead of you on the runway.