Request High Speed

I’ve heard multiple times that on the climb out from VHHH, ATC approves aircrafts for high speed allowing them to cross the 250 knots limit below 10,000 feet. Sometimes (like yesterday afternoon…) the ATC at WMKK seemed a bit impatient and was rushing me to descend to 3,000 feet from FL250 which is quite hard to do without crossing the 250 knots limit. Why don’t pilots in IF have the ability to request high speed or any type of speed request?

2 Likes

Why would you go into an airspace at FL250? The highest altitude you should contact approach is FL180…
In my opinion there isn’t a need for it. If you so wish you can make a feature request once you get to TL2. You are a basic user so keep liking, posting, etc. and you’ll get there!

6 Likes

High speed climbs and descents would be helpful for extremely heavy aircraft but this would very likely be abused.

4 Likes

Or you could descend early and not run into that problem:) and like @CollinFlys has stated when calling for approach you should be at FL180 and 50NM from the airport

4 Likes

This is already built-in. You’re allowed to go up to 260kts under 10,000ft. This will allow for very heavy aircraft to at least get a little bit closer to flying at minimum clean maneuvering speed. If it’s higher than 260kts then you’ll just have to fly around at flaps 1 or whatever is appropriate for your aircraft and weight until getting above 10,000ft. On descent, there isn’t any performance reason to exceed 250kts though.

2 Likes

I normally start descending from FL320 or above when I’m 120nm away from the airport at -2500fpm. But some controllers really want you to expedite, thus this high speed would be helpful.

2 Likes

Then start earlier or slow down before you call for approach. They want to keep everyone moving and no delays.

1 Like

Going by normal descent calculations at 50 nm from a sea level airfield, your at 15,000 ft

I have made a table showing descent calculations that are used irl. This may help

4 Likes

Thank you! This is actually helpful!

1 Like

Because there’s no reason you should be that high when within range of an Approach facility.

1 Like

thanks! its really helpful

1 Like

yeah. theres already people who try to do vertical takeoffs from the casusal server but those are mostly grade 1

Flight spoilers are there for a reason, use them to slow down if you have to.

Also, for descent planning, I would use apps like VirtualHub, IF assistant, and IF checklists. They give you the right vs so that you don’t end up descending way too quickly near the airport, and they also put you at around FL180 when you’re 50 nm from the airport.

All we need is for you to be at the standard altitude to intercept G/S usually about 3,000’ AAL about 11NM from the airport

What i posted is what real world pilots use, i use it every day and it works perfectly

I think we’ve misunderstood his request Pilot’s irl have the ability to request “high speed” which is an exemption from the restriction of staying under 250 kts, under 10,000 feet and this discussion has turned towards talking about descent planning.

I think a feature request for this would be fantastic because say you are inbound at an airport with very little or no traffic, If you are cleared by ATC for “High Speed”, we may have the opportunity to get on the ground faster by being exempted from this violation. Of course, speed then would have to be carefully managed by the pilot under 10K ft. and also this feature may be difficult to implement, but that has never stopped the development team at IF now has it.

2 Likes

If you want this to be a thing put it in #features
But im not sure if you can do tl your trust level.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.