'Request fuel dump' and 'Fuel dump stopped' commands on Approach

First, this idea was created by @Apollo_Yuh, but he is TL1.

Fuel Dump Request for ATC

There would be a new command on the command tab and it would say ‘request fuel dump’. Then, ATC would know you need to fuel dump so you would exit the pattern or extend. They would have the same vectors as they can give originally. Also, you can say when the fuel dump is done so ATC can put you back on pattern.
Here are some examples:
(Tower in the examples is approach frequency)
Example 1:

Pilot: Air Force 123, request fuel dump.
Tower: Cleared Fuel Dump, Air Force 123, exit pattern, turn right heading 180, maintain 8000.
Pilot: Cleared Fuel Dump, exit pattern, turn right heading 180, maintain 8000, Air Force 123.
Pilot: Fuel dump stopped, Air Force 123.
Tower: Roger, turn left heading 230, descend and maintain 7000, Air Force 123.
Pilot: Turn left heading 230, descend and maintain 7000, Air Force 123.
Continue normally

Example 2:

Tower: Cleared Fuel Dump, Air Force 123, stay on pattern, descend and maintain 8000.
Pilot: Cleared Fuel Dump, stay on pattern, descend and maintain 8000, Air Force 123.
Tower: Roger.
Tower: Please expedite altitude change.
Continue normally

Example 3:

Tower: Cleared Fuel Dump, Air Force 123, extend downwind, announce fuel dump stopped, descend and maintain 8000.
Pilot: Cleared Fuel Dump, extend downwind, descend and maintain 8000, Wilco, Air Force 123.
Tower: Roger, I’ll call your base, Air Force 123.
Pilot: You’ll call my base, Air Force 123.
Continue normally

Tower would then need heading and altitude commands? That may be a stretch when you can fuel dump any time before the altitude threshold as long as you are alert to your flight. Im out of votes anyways, good luck!

2 Likes

Amazing feature request! Would be helpful when putting too much fuel!

2 Likes

Well, it’s not a bad idea, but I feel that the fuel dump idea won’t elaborate with the pattern commands you listed from the time being.

It’s your responsibility to dumb fuel, and if you see you are above your desired weight you still can dump while descending.

1 Like

Personally I only see two things to why you’d need to dump fuel:

1. Have too much on arrival, just dump during your descent.

2. Performing pattern work, or forgot something and need to land, wouldn’t this be at your own fault for having too much fuel, or a mistake made by you?

I feel this would just be another addition to put to the ATC workload, which overall wouldn’t be helpful, as it would be your fault if you had too much fuel.

2 Likes

Yeah, it is, but it would help the pilot and tower, since they will have knowledge and actions about the dump

I think this is a great feature request. This is realistic as aircraft have to be cleared to dump fuel especially as it can be a harmful factor in real life.

Asking ATC permission can prevent people from dumping in the middle of a city wicv is definitely not allowed and against realism.

Also, it doesn’t have to be tower doing this. It could be center.

2 Likes

I actually think this is a very smart idea. I saw what the original writer said, maybe adding that for context could help. I like the idea though!

1 Like

The pilot commands would be a nice addition to the sim, but I don’t think it would be beneficial to give tower the ability to vector and assign altitudes, instead giving tower the ability to place aircraft into holding patterns would be more beneficial to the one who has to dump fuel, as in the case of busy airspaces tower may forget about them and they may end up flying 50nm away from the airport! Also, if tower were given the ability to place aircraft into holds, it would really help in congested airspace where there is no approach controller.

1 Like

I actually see this is unnecessary given that fuel dumping does not interact with other planes in IF. ATC in IF only controls interaction between users. This would be like ATC enforcing strobe lights.

1 Like