Reporting Position

Can anyone tell me about reporting your position (final, base, downwind) to Tower and Unicom (ex: when, why, what’s it for)? Just looking for clarification and making sure I use in the correct scenarios.
P.S. I know what base, downwind, final, etc. mean, but I was told by ATC to avoid unnecessary reports. 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 Likes

Hey!

When using unicom, you should report your position on every leg of the pattern. For example, you’d report right downwind, then right base, then final.

When tuned to tower, there’s no need to report position. Tower is aware of your location and will monitor your progress throughout the pattern. If you are on final and haven’t been cleared, you can report that you’re on final to remind the controller that you still require a clearance. You may also report that you’ll be performing a full stop if you’re in the pattern and would like to land. If you don’t fall into either of these two categories, please do not report your position.

Thanks for the question! Feel free to ask if you have any further inquiries. :)

33 Likes

Thank you a lot!

1 Like

Going off of the perfect explaination by the wonderful @TaipeiGuru, the reason why you were probably told “avoid sending unnecessary reports” was because you did announce with tower around, which as said above, isn’t needed (with tower around).

2 Likes

Ok thank you. Makes sense.

1 Like

Hey there,

Were you N999SB at NZWN maybe 30-45 minutes ago? If so I was your controller and we can chat if you’d like to go over exactly what happened. :)

1 Like

Yes I was! But no, it wasn’t this time that that happened. It was like last week. But, thanks for controlling!

1 Like

Okay great!

1 Like

Just making sure on this stuff because I don’t want to be a pain for controllers lol.

3 Likes

Also, thank you for doing this. I know as a controller, I have seen the same person do the same things when I tell them to check forums and I have great respect for you for finding out why.

1 Like

You may also find this video tutorial quite helpful. Tyler walks you through a standard pattern/circuit at an airport explaining each of these legs. Very good!

4 Likes

Yes. That’s why I do it because I’m becoming an IFATC. Thank you :)

Good luck in training!! 😉

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah, I’ve watched that tutorial many times haha. But I was just ensuring what I know about what to say with tower is correct. I always watch these tutorials!

1 Like

Thank you very much! 🙂

I that case, hoping to see you there! You have an A+ in my book so far, not that my opinion matters as I’m not one of the high up in the team.

1 Like

Haha. Thank you! I already failed my written (64%) I took yesterday, the time got to me lol. 😬.

In the event that you don’t have time to look at the video, and you need to know your positions quick, just have a copy of this with you and you’ll be good to go.

Source

1 Like

Yeah, thank you! I already know the legs of the pattern, but I have one of those diagrams (which they help sometimes). I was just confused about reporting them to tower. But now I know. :)

1 Like

Slightly different scenario: if inbound to uncontrolled field and u are much a higher than pattern altitude but parallel to the airport (on downwind) so as to make a long final down an ils, would you report you are on downwind, or since yourway higher than pattern altitude would you simply say in bound for straight in and continue your flight plan till on final, where you can announce that?